The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, not sure if this belongs here or in symptoms category, but here it is:

I am just wondering how long it takes to notice an effect from a pred pulse. I had one done today. So far, only one is ordered. I am wondering how long other took to notice some sort of positive effect, if at all, from first pulse.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Jenn,

I was relieved to read that it was only the pulse prednisone that the doctor ordered for today. I am still disappointed that she didn't return your phone call. I have never had the pulse so I can't comment on how quickly it starts working. I know when I recieve Intramuscular injections it can take a few days to start noticing a big improvement.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Karen

I was relieved too! It made much more sense to me and I didn't hesitate to go for the treatment then.

My Rheumy phoned from her home this evening, and said that the cyclo. is only for if we get confirmation that the brain is involved. She said the neurologist will be doign a number of tests and we will go from there. I wish I'd heard from her last night, would have eased my mind, but anyway, I sorted it out on my own, and the pulse got done.

She wanted to know if the rash on my neck and chest had improved, I hadn't actually looked, but it seems that it has faded on my chest, so maybe that's a good sign. I can still see it on my neck a bit. Sometimes hard to tell if you keep looking so I'm staying away from the mirror for awhile. I'm still having a lot of burning, but that she has said is neuropathy and probably takes much more time to improve.

Jenn

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
for me it works pretty quickly if it is going to work - for some of my symptoms it really doesn't do anything much, so other things it is fabulous. So give it a few days to see if things improve. Just a one off pulse it a lot easier to handle, I get pretty frazzled by the 3-5 day regime, so hopefully the side effects won't be too crazy.

Good luck sleeping - and if you find yourself scrubbing out the pot cupboard at 2am don't be too surprised hahaha

cheers

raglet

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
I didn't notice too much from the pulse, did get a bit of headache, and trouble sleeping, but imovane helped and slept about 5 hours.
But I wonder, is it normal to feel more achey (muscle, as though with flu) after?
This is sometning I get with flares, and had been having it a bit again, but is increased more after the pulse.
My face is also very flushed, is that normal?
My neck rash faded last yesterday but back today.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
hi jenn

forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming a pulse pred is an IV steroid drip?
If that's correct then I had the same thing about 8 months ago because the intravenos (sp?) injections weren't helping much.

unfortunately I didn't like it at all :sad: I felt drunk afterwards & feverish,I was awake most of the night & had an awful headache that lasted a few days!& yes I also looked flushed even day after.to be honest it didn't help me much at the time neither.

however we are all different & I hope it benefits you more than it did me :)

I hope you feel better soon & good luck with your next appointment,I hope you can get some clarification on your treament & condition etc
take good care & keep us updated
karen x

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
the flushed face is definitely a steroid thing, and the only sleeping 5 hours even while using sleeping meds is oh so familiar.

I don't get achey after a pred pulse, though I usually get a nasty metallic taste in my mouth which is a nuisance.

hope you feel better soon

raglet

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 3 day pred pulse every 3-4 months to keep me functioning. It is a wonderful drug but for a few days afterwards I get very sore, sensitive skin and feel pretty revolting. I hope it works as well for you as it does for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts