TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All............just letting off some steam here.

Some off you may remember my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer just before christmas.
Well he has responded quite well to a course of radiotherapy and mentally has been really strong. We know the odds but are very happy with this respite.
As a family we are supporting him and I think together we are managing well.
Anyway..........went to see him yesterday and he had a pile of leaflets from a well-meaning distant family member telling him how to cure his cancer with obscure suppliments and oils.:eek:
One list from the internet, two pages of these extracts of whatever, had the disclaimer that 'if no improvement occurs it would be because he had not taken all the suggested eliments or not enough of a particular one.'
You can imagine the cost of them all.
I was really upset to see his face when I poo-pood this. He did agree, but of course he would like a cure like that.

Why do people do this:yell::hissy:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr .....It makes my blood boil. The purveyors of these snake oils are creatures of the devil, in my opinion
However the well meaning messengers are probably sincere just very deluded or ignorant, in my opinion. It is wicked to tell very ill and vulnerable people that if they don't get well it is their own fault especially when they are making a profit from sales.

One claim that would make me laugh if it wasn't so ignorant is that XXXX is a traditional remedy used for thousands of years even by our cavemen ancestors, usually in some remote and very high area of the world.
The reality of these populations suffering severe malnutrition, all sorts of diseases, short life spans, undiagnosed chronic & fatal illnesses, high infant and maternal mortality, etc etc seems to go unnoticed. Anyway that is my opinion.

I am glad your dad has responded well - I am sure that love and support are essential to healing in the widest sense of the word.

All the best to you and your family.

Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Big Sis,
I do keep you and your Dad in my mind. I am so sorry that this happened.
These people may have meant well,but their actions are potentially harmful. If only cures were so simple!

I think your Dad has been really brave in all that he has faced these past few months. Give him a big squeeze from me.
x Lola

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hello, So sorry about your Dad's lung cancer. So happy he is responding to therapy and in a good place emotionally. I know from experience, how difficult this journey is on the patient as well as family. Having a positive attitude is half the battle. Don't we all wish we could go to the pharmacy or health store and buy a cure for cancer. I,m sure they meant well, some strongly believe in these so called cures. The last time my Parents visited Sweden, when they came home they could not wait to tell me of his cure for Lupus. It had nothing to do with SLE, and they were so disappointed when I had to explain this to them.
Sending you all Best Wishes, Rosie

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Bigsis,

I don't know how many people have told me "oh you must try this" and 'you must try that"...they all claim that it worked for them and "cured" their "tiredness" or whatever... they're all well meaning and yes, I could honestly do damage to the next person that comes up with such a theory!!! :wall:

Thankfully I'm pretty good at cutting them short (Now doesn't that surprise you? :rotfl:).

The thing that really scares me, is that you do get people who stop listening to their docs and throw all their meds away - waiting for the miracle cure - with disastrous consequences!!

I hope your Dad continues to do well on his more "conventional" treatment.

Katharine

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your understanding.

I do believe the thought was well-meaning but misguided.

Snake oils indeed:sad:

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Big Sis,

Sorry about your dad's dianosis of lung cancer but certainly I think the family member only had good intentions. Why people do this???? It is pure quackery yet I believe that some folks believe that oils, or whatever can cure anything. They are living in a fantasy world.:mad::mad::mad:

My prayers are going out to your dad, you and the family. I hope he can beat this. Keep us posted as to how he makes out moving forward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts