TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I be concerned. I have taken many pictures of Purpura bruising about 10mm in size (on arms, and legs), and have shown them to my doctor. He says nothing about these purpura marks.

Hugs

Gerri

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Gerri

Im sorry you are still having to deal with that same doctor. When you say he 'says nothing' what actually happens in the conversation between you both? Do you show him the bruising and ask him what he thinks is causing it? Does he remain silent? He should, at the very least, be asking you if this is something new and unexplained or whether you have had an injury which could cause it. Sometimes we have to ask very direct questions to get very direct responses.

I know you are unhappy with your doctor from your previous posts and that it is very difficult to change doctors where you are. Maybe you need to be very assertive with him and say something like 'so you are telling me that this is absolutely nothing to worry about and is completely normal?' Doctors can get very complacent especially when dealing with complicated patients like yourself.

I wish you the very best of luck with this and I would strongly advise you to ask direct questions and seek direct answers. Thats the very least you should expect from your doctor. Please let us know how you get on

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hi Gerri
Your doctor certainly should be making some comment and a possible cause be investigated if necessary. If he thinks it's nothing to be worried about, why not say so!
The most common cause is low platelets, thrombocytopenia. Then the reasons for that might need investigating
I don't know enough medicine to comment on what needs to be done if thrombocytopenia is not present.
Blood can also seep through when there is inflammation or damage to the vessels, vasculitis of some sort. I have them on my lower legs & ankles all the time, but it's nothing to worry about as well as permanent marks and obviously damaged capillaries

I'm sorry you have to put up with this very difficult doctor

Hugs
Clare

Note
Purpura are small bruises caused by blood seeping through vessels. Very small pinpoints of blood are known as petechiae. The biggest are what we call bruises, ecchymoses I think in medicalese.

They do not go white , that is 'blanch', when pressed. You can use a glass to apply pressure so it's easier to see what happens. The more usual way is to press with your finger :)

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/purpura.htm

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40001183/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts