The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just have a question about brain fog. I am wondering for those of you who experience brain fog, do you only experience brain fog when you have a flare up? I've recently noticed that I mix up words when I speak and write but I'm currently not in a flare. I'm confused because my lupus affects my kidney and skin but not my nervous system. I also find that I have difficulty concentrating and staying focused. It's so frustrating because I am a masters student and I have to write reports and papers constantly.

I also wonder if I'm experiencing symptoms of depression. I'm very stressed and feeling very unmotivated. And just need to vent!!!! I don't see a way out because I HAVE to finish my masters and sometimes it feels like it's a losing battle. I wonder if it's just me and I'm blaming it on lupus.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Lazybone

·
Registered
22 Posts
Brain fog is just like a flare, it turns on and off at any given moment. I don't have to be in flare in order for the brain fog to suddenly disrupt my day. I 'll have a hard time spitting out words, I'm dizzy, my head feels soooo heavy and my eyes get real droopy. And depression is a given when you feel this bad because you just don't have the motivation to perform daily tasks. I'm amazed when it suddenly is turned off and then I'm somewhat back to normal. Even my husband is amazed! Kudos to you for pushing foward with your masters and I hope you'll be okay and stay strong because it's not jjust you, it is the Lupus although it is a mystery if the Lupus you have doesn't effect yoour nervous system . That is something to ask your Rhuemy. My experience is getting brain fog without a flare up.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi, sorru you have the Brian Fog.

Someone suggested B12 defficiency can cause problems, might be worth getting checked!

Take care,

Lesley

·
Registered
328 Posts
I suffer from brain fog as well, more often than not actually. I find it affects my work and daily activities, and I don't necessarily have to be in a flare to have this happen to me.

I've recently given my notice at my job as an M.O.A. partly because of my brain fog and my fear of how it might affect my job and patients. I worry because my job is very important with dealing with patients results, and procedures I take part in, and the immense paper work involved. I just don't feel top of my game anymore due to this fog.

Feel proud of yourself for you persistance in completing your masters. WAY TO GO!!

Karin

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
No i dont have to be in a flare either, comes and goes when its wants, but if im really tired i do notice its worse, but thats for me

take care Lin xxxxx

·
Registered
642 Posts
Me too.
My usual symptoms are pretty much under control but my head is still away with the fairies.
Much worse when I'm not sleeping well. I'm not sure if that's cause or effect if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for responding. That clears up my confusion about brain fog. It does seem that I get them when I feel particularly tired. And I'll definitely get the B12 deficiency checked out.

Karin - I'm sorry to hear that you had to quit your job because of this. I should count myself lucky that in my line of work, the consequences for mixing up words is perhaps my supervisor telling me that I need to rewrite what I wrote because it doesn't make sense or that it takes longer to write a coherent sentence. I really need to get some perspective. It's not the end of the world if I don't write as well as I used to. I can still do it!! [that's me trying to motivate myself :lol: ]

Cheers,
Edith

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Lazybone,

I have noticed as has my family, that my brain fog comes and goes. My flares also come and go. It would be nice if they all occured at once, that way I can cry, complain, be confused and be in pain all at once and be done for a while....:lol: !

Lately I have been having wonderful "brain days". By that I mean, I basically make sense. My friends can call and ask me about nursing issues and I can answer them intelligently. I can count money and I am not wandering around the grocery store or Walmart aimlessly. On bad "brain days", look out. I make stupid comments, forget where I am supposed to be and just overall become ignorant. My husband bought me a Blackberry Curve for Christmas so that I can keep track of everything and I do mean everything. Fortunately bad or good days, I can operate the phone, which I find amazing because it is a little complicated. I guess it helped that when I got it, I was not having a good time of it.

Hold your head up high and take a deep breath. You may have to go a bit slower with your studies and all, but you will be able to pull it off. While it may be a struggle, it will be so worth it.

Good luck
Nancy

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nancy, too bad your body wont let you but you would fit right in on our medical floor! :rotfl: :rotfl:

My fog happens when I am so over tired. Dont know if that is my age, 44, or the lupus:lol: .

I know 44 isnt " that" old but it isnt 24 :wink2:

Lisa

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
:) Hi Lazy, I also had to quit a nursing career, if your hands shake, then you shouldn't be around patience's. I get the brain fog, but I will say that it gets way worse when I am nervous or mad or upset about something, then I couldn'e tell you my own name. I also am on an antidepressant, and it does make a world of difference. Anyone that has a chronic disease will need an antidepressant. And since you said that you write a lot of papers, take time to look at all the sections of thest posts, you will find that a lot, or the majority of us, misspell words, almost like dyslexia. I wish you the very best with your career, and I do hope that you finish. Luck to you, and be well.:wink2:

·
Registered
72 Posts
hiya,

brain fog !!!! yep i get that to, comes and goes most of time.... it stopped me from working to, used to work in bank, started giving people the wrong money...:rotfl: don't think the customers minded but my boss did !!
i was told by one of my doc's to do brain exercise's those daft pc games... but i must say sometimes it helps...doesn't help when i find my house keys in the knife draw and knifes in the fridge....mind yo:rolleyes: u that bit might just be old age...haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know ladies, I can't help but admire how positive you remain despite having to deal with the disruptions lupus brought to your lives. Frankly, it seems that my symptoms of brain fog are quite mild (compared to what you have described), but I just started to freak out. I guess it's my personality too. I've got a lot to learn from you ladies!!! And I'm going to talk about anti-depressants with my doc too.

Lola - it was great chatting with you too!!

Edith

1 - 13 of 13 Posts