TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
cinderashes
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I've not been on the site for a long time, following my daughters birth just been too busy! But hope you're all well...

My question is: I've had a "rash" for a few years now, it makes my skin darker and isnt raised, though when its hot the skin goes redder in the affected areas and itches. When I scratch it sometimes really hurts and burns as well. My dermatologist did a punch biopsy and it came back saying I have granuloma anomalare, with some superficial warty keratosis. I was told this usually clears itself and they cannot do much about it.

yesterday however the dermy and my rheumy sais they want to try me on differin. I was told i can't get pregnant while im on it. I wanted to ask more but the docs were in a rush so i never got to ask.

Has anyone else used differin? what are your experiences? and does anyone know how long i would have to be off differin in order to safely try to conceive? we are hoping to start trying for baby number 2 next year.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Cinderashes xx

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Cinderashes

Differin is an acne preparation, which clears lesions with reduced scaring. Although I've used all other acne products known to man, this being relatively new, I've not yet tried this one.

However, as you can see from: http://www.differin.com/AboutDifferin/ProductInsert_Cream.aspx

there is no evidence, as yet, that there are real problems with this product with pregnancy - I quote:

"PREGNANCY: TERATOGENIC EFFECTS> PREGNANCY CATEGORY C. No teratogenic effects were seen in rats at oral doses of 0.15 to 5.0 mg/kg/day adapalene (up to 20 times the MRHD based on mg/m²> comparisons). However, adapalene administered orally at doses of > 25 mg/kg, (100 times the MRHD for rats or 200 times MRHD for rabbits) has been shown to be teratogenic. Cutaneous teratology studies in rats and rabbits at doses of 0.6, 2.0, and 6.0 mg/kg/day (24 times the MRHD for rats or 48 times the MRHD for rabbits) exhibited no fetotoxicity and only minimal increases in supernumerary ribs in rats. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. Adapalene should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus.

NURSING MOTHERS: It is not known whether this drug is excreted in human milk. Because many drugs are excreted in human milk, caution should be exercised when DIFFERIN® Cream is administered to a nursing woman."

Thus, your doctors are being cautious in the absence of detailed studies.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Merle

1 - 2 of 2 Posts