The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you generally get the same symptoms each time you start to flare? I ask because I have always had the same ones--my pericarditis flaring up and joint pain, bad anemia, extra protein in urine and some fatigue. I never had fevers---UNTIL....just recently
For five weeks I had high fevers that couldn't be controlled by steroids. Dr. finally admitted me to hospital. I also was leaking a lot of protein, platelets were low, and my white blood cell count was very low. Thank God I got to the hospital when I did. Thankfully, my low WBC count has gone up some in the past two weeks and the fevers are gone (THANK GOD!), but now I have to wonder if this is going to be what I have to watch out for in the future. That was pretty scary having those fevers and such a low WBC because there is no immunosuppressant they can give me that will not lower the WBC even lower, so it was a wait and see and hope kind of thing. At one point I was even up to 150 mg prednisone/day with no relief in symptoms.
I have never had many of the typical lupus symptoms others get. I don't get extremely fatigued or aches and pains (except for joints sometimes and chronic chest pain). I don't get any kind of rashes, ulcers, etc. And until recently, I had never gotten fevers with the lupus that I knew of, even low-grade ones.
So, once you start getting these new symptoms, do you find yourself getting the same ones again with a flare? Because if this is the case, maybe we could catch this next time before my WBCs get so low!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
My flare symptoms tend to stay the same, occasionally something different gets thrown in (like Chilblains). But usually my flare symptoms are joint pain, fatigue, rash, pleuritis and low grade fever. I had a spell where I also had symptoms of cystitis for a few months here and there (not sure of cause...) but it hasn't occurred every time since then. I've had a spell where I was spilling protein for a while too but that has eased now possibly due to medication.

I would think... if there is a next time with a high fever... then everyone will be on the lookout and investigating the WBC count, etc. But I don't think that this one incident means from here on out - your flare will be like this one. Mostly because that hasn't been my experience, and this isn't called the disease of 1000 faces for nothing!

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Laura, For me, the only thing that remains constant with my flares is that they all hurt and make all the small things a very big deal. Some flares will set off a migraine, some just hurt like the devil, and some I want to be in bed under the covers and not eat or do anything. Each is different. Be well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts