TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi dont know if i can post this or not hubby has a lot of spots on his back front legs back of legs.He has been to our gp and he did not know what it was so gave him some cream and body wash the cream has not worked so he went to see another doc she was the same did not know what they are the itch is driving him mad she gave him an anthistamine not helped.I was at the doc last friday and said to him about hubby told me to get him to come and see him tomorrow.He has to see a dermy got a letter today and you will not beleive the letter.The waiting list is 18weeks we live ten mins from our hospital so on the letter it says in order to meet waiting time they will refer him to a hospital The Golden Jubilee National Hospital in Clydebank which is about 20miles away from us has anybody from West Lothian been sent a letter that is waiting to see a Dermatolagist Thank You Elisabeth

·
Registered
117 Posts
3 years ago I developed a rash

Hi! 3 years ago I developed a strange type of rash that was driving me insane. Went to two different doctors and they too had no idea what it was. The itch was driving me insane! I used all kinds of remedies! Went to an emergency room and they claimed I had some kind of staff infection and treated me with an antibiotic, benedryl and some cream. Cream steriod! That did not work either. So then I used an old time remedy for poison ivy. I also bought that bacteria cleansing type of soap that has alcohol in it. Everyday I would bathe in a really hot tub of water and placed 1/4 cup of clorox bleach in the tub. Would soak 1/2 and hour in the tub and would wash myself with that soap. A week later the mad itch went away. I'm not a doctor and this may not help him out but then again it might. He still needs to see that doctor if he can get in on time, but if he can't this might help him until he can. Make sure he washes hair and face before placing the bleach in tub. Don't want bleach getting in his eyes. And this bleach is the liquid kind not powder kind. Regular washing machine clorox bleach. No more than 1/4 cup. Too much bleach can burn the skin and cause major problems. Tub needs to be filled up at least half full. Hope this helps!
Not a doctor but I tried it and it worked for me. I just washed in the stuff everyday and noticed it was drying it up and stopping the itching. I am highly allergic to poison ivy too and had to use it for that also several times. If his skin starts to turn red or pink after using, then stop doing for it could be irritating the skin too much.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ohh! PS

Ohh! Forgot to mention I had that rash for two solid months and nobody seemed to know what it was. Kept giving me RX's for this a that and after getting fed up I used the remedy. if nothing else works then it might be worth trying.

·
Inky
249 Posts
Hi Elizabeth, your hubby could have developed a sensitivity or even allergy to something. My partner had similar rash on shins and around hip area. Switching to Surcare washing detergent and softner, simple soap etc. etc - i.e. no chemical/bioligic cleansing stuff at all, cleared it up within a week or two. A lot of the stronger washing detergents have parfum and strong chemicals. The one time I used old washing powder - and not a strong one either (Ecover) the rash came back. Sometimes after staying in holiday places it can happen as they use harsh cleansing stuff I guess. You could try it. Surcare is designed for sensitive skin, a little bit more expensive I think but worth it. This allergy developed when my partner was in his 50's. Doc said it was ecszma (spelling) of some sort.
Hope this helps,
Sara

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yes

Has he been wearing a suit that is new or has been recently dry cleaned? The chemicals can be nasty. There was also a programm on TV covering a story about the fire retardant/ finish on a new leather sofa causing a child's face and body to blister after she had been left on it.

Could be a contact rash and can't think of any other clothing that would mainly touch those areas. it has been a bit 'close' so sweating could make chemicals come through jacket onto back and legs.

Has he exposed back and shins to sun when he does not normally?

Lacto calamin lotion is easy to get hold of and can really help soothe, and you can reapply it as often as you like. it's the one that does not go white and flake off. Less drying.

Would check any new soap powders, soaps, shower gels , etc. too.

Hope it gets sorted fast. These types of rashes can drive you demented when you get warm in bed at night so you lose sleep and get really fed up.

all the best

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Oh boy, this is a miserable thing. Your poor husband! Definitely change to a non-irritating laundry soap -- one with no fragrance or bleach or anything. Change bath soap. Wash the towels and bedsheets in something different than what you've been using -- anything to figure out what he's reacting to all of a sudden.

If you can get your hands on aloe plants, slice open the leaves and rub the goo over his rash. It's stinky, sticky and dries into something not great. But it heals like crazy. I use it for almost everything. Use it just before going to bed and let it air dry before lying down. It's wonderful stuff. And the plants are incredibly hardy. I have two in pots. One made the trip from Arizona nine years ago in a brown paper bag. I bring them inside in the winter (they get no water during the winter) and then toss them outside when the weather gets warm. Water moderately through the summer. They grow and make new plants. When we lived in AZ, the things grew like weeds. Every spring I would pull out the plants crowding my aloe bed. Sometimes I pulled over 100 plants from my tiny space.

Anyway, I hope your husband gets some relief. And how rotten he has to wait so long and then go to a hospital so far away. Just doesn't sound right.

Sunny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts