The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have disability payments from insurance - where does your health insurance come from? Do you continue with what you had but pay both the company's portion and your, or more? Are you left with virtually nothing?

I've decided I'm tired of never being anything but tired and homebound (other than at work) and I'm going on disability soon. One of the women at work told me that the disability insurance company (based on a fellow employee's experience) will pay up so long as my doctor says I'm unable to work (and she will), so I'm most waiting for my income tax return so I have cash until things come together and trying to pre-figure out my funds and my health care.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Jirel,

I am currently receiving long term disability from my former company's disability insurer, Cigna. First they put me on short term disability and their process was difficult. Lots of paperwork for me and my doctor. At first they kept losing my paperwork and I began sending it by mail, fax and email attachment to ensure they received it. It got so difficult that I called my Human Resources department for help. After that, the insurer was more responsive. After the six months of short term disability, I was transferred to the long term disability group. Things have been much better now. They do request information, but have been far more responsive. I've heard that there is a two year review of your claim to determine a new status.

Because I live in CA, I also received state disablity for one year. That was a pleasure. They were always on time and the payments were tax free.

Hope this helps. I also fought going on disability for the longest time. But my body finally gave out. I do miss work, but I know I had no choice. Even with extensive consideration from my employer, I was unable to do my job.

Good luck,

Susan

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, my insurance is Unum rather than Cigna - thankfully it sounds like. I'm hoping that my company has something to say about how they handle claims, they are a good company. But - what do you do for your medical bills? Do you still have health insurance or not?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Definitely talk to your company and your LTD provider about health insurance premiums and how long you can stay on their plan through COBRA or any other state programs you may qualify for.

In my case, I was not able to keep my own health insurance after going on LTD (but my husband had me on his plan anyways so it didn't matter). LTD would not continue to pay/provide health insurance premiums, although they did continue to pay the 5% into my 401K that I was contributing when I went on LTD.

If I were unable to get health insurance through my husband, I would be screwed! I am uninsurable with a lupus diagnosis, and currently still unable to get SSDI so can't go on Medicare. Some states are creating high risk pools for those of us who actually can't get health insurance even if we wanted to... but the premiums each month would easily eat up over 2/3 of my LTD payment each month if not all of it.

This is a major consideration - it's good you're looking into it now.

One last thing I may have mentioned to you before is to know whether or not you are paying your LTD premiums with before tax money or after tax money as that will decide whether taxes are taken out of your LTD check each month. It will also affect your future social security check amount too, so there are pros and cons to each option. Mostly I'm writing this paragraph for others considering the LTD question... ;)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had just assumed my LTD was pre-tax so that I would have to pay taxes on it. However, now that I'm investigating for real, I find it is after tax. YEA!

I was afraid the insurance was going to be steep. Oh well, I can't have everything. I've already verified that I can access my IRA money so it can carry me through 2 1/2 months of no money should the LTD be a problem. I'm feeling very lucky at the moment - despite the sciatic pain that is hitting me today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts