TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is puzzling me, I have red spots on my finger tips and toes, in the palm of my hands and also on my legs (lower, close to my ankles) they are noy purpura, I've had those pin pricks before. They are bigger and the skin of the red spots are kind of smooth and shiny and pretty circular, except for the ones on my finger and toe tips, they're more like a bruise and and the entire third tip section is reddish and blotchy. In the center of these blotches is a tinier, darker spot. They are painful when I apply pressure. Does anyone know what this is or had similar symptoms? I have an upcoming appointment with my rheumy but i'd still like some insight. I have'nt been in the sun alot and these spots are'nt anywhere else on my body, yet at least... Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Reshia,

It is hard to know what they are - especially from a description. Hopefully your rheumy will have an answer.

How long does each spot last?
If you press on them, do they blanch?

My 1st guess would be maybe a type of vasculitis. When you say they are not purpura, I wonder if you meant not petechiae? Pin prick sized dots are petechiae. Purpura are usually 2-3mm in diameter and can be raised and/or itchy. Echymosis are bruises - so larger again. Actually it is all academic what they are called as they are all just extensions of the same process. Blood vessels become inflamed and break spilling blood...

All the best with the rheumy,

X C X

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello Cath, thank you for your response. I did mean petechiae, not purpura. They do not blanch and they are not leisons. They have been there for about three weeks now, they were only on the very tip of my fingers at the beginning, now they are in my palms and feet also. I looked up the different types of vasulitis, mine looked like some pictures i saw under cutaneous vasulitis .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts