TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just wanted to ask those who know.My son has had recurrent mouth ulcers for years.The doctor saw him a while ago and prescribed corsydyl mouth wash.This cleared them up so I told him to stop using it for a while and see what happens.Two days later the ulcers are back.Does anyone know if that means it's unlikely to be Lupus and more likely to be something bacterial going on for them to come straight back?mouth swab was negative though,
Thanks for any views,
Julsie

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Julsie,

I'm having no end of bother with my mouth at the moment so I know how he feels. There are many things that can cause them so it depends on what else is going on with your son - is he run down, stressed or anxious, low on B12? You've mentioned before that he has had other symptoms but I can't recall if the doc has carried out blood tests.

Mine are either caused by the Lupus or the anti-malarials - I don't suppose I'll ever find out. Corsydyl actually made mine a whole lot worse so I use Gengigel which you can get from Boots. My Dermy has also prescribed an oral paste and steroid tablets for when it's really bad but I'd think your son's age would determine what he can use.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mouth ulcers are also an early sign of coeliac disease (and possibly other autoimmune disorders too). The symptoms of coeliac in kids are a bit different to adults - you could look on the coeliacuk dot org dot uk website and see if that is a possibility you could get your GP to screen for.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Pam,
Sorry you're having trouble with your mouth too,my son has a lot of pain from the ulcers.
The doctor hasn't taken any blood yet.He did suggest it if they didn't go away.This is the doctor who said that I am looking for a reason for my symptoms through my children! hmmmph!:mad: needless to say,I get hubby to take my son for his appointments so he is taken seriously.
Thanks cemc,you reminded me of that,it did cross my mind a while ago,
Julsie

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hello,

Sorry to hear he has mouth sores. Since last Novemeber I have battleing mouth sores, on the roof of my mouth. They hurt so bad. Makes it hard to eat, even to drink water. My Rhemy said, Normal with my Lupus and/or drugs and my GP gave me perscription for Lidocain. Its in a jar, gel form and with a q-tip I swab it on the sores to numb them so I can eat or fall asleep. Its been a new syptom for me and they are painfull, not to mention it takes a long time to heal.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hello
Sorry to hear he is haviing such a time with the Oral Ulcers.
My wife has had trouble with these for years.
She was made a plate by a dentist with no teeth just hooks to hold it on and given a steriod gel to put on it. The plate helps to keep it in place longer and it heals fairly fast that way.

Over time she has found that many items cause her Oral Ulcers.
Lupus does and they will increase when she has a flair.
She has also found that if she eats foods with some spices she will have them with in hours. Any spice or pepper with even a little heat to it will eat a place right in her gums and cause ulcers within a hour or two.
She has to be very careful to avaiod foods with much spice at all.
She has also found that if she eats to much food with acid it will cause them.
If she gets carried away with something like oranges or orabge juice one day she is likely to have ulcers the next.
Same with tomatoes and other items that are higher in acid content.

This at times causes trouble because she loves many of these foods and when they are in season and easier to get the amount eatten increases.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts