The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have had mild skin lupus for 6 years , 3 weeks ago I came down with fever, this felt like a flu bug but no cold appeared, and for 3 days pain in my knees and then that went away , but the fever kept on every day , blood tests kept coming back no posisitve results for any thing, then my liver test showed inflamation, ( i had been put on generic zocor, for cholesterol 2 months ago) ruled out hepititis, the fever continued, the 2nd week my ankles swelled, more test,,, heart test ( echo) ok, waiting on kidney protien results, white cells showed up on the rise, fianally after 21 days the fever is residing the ankles went down, , i went to my rheumatologist, and he said immediately lupus flare , in part to the comp test was at 12, ( norm should be 15-35) i did show sed rate elevated in the beginning, this is all strange and I was so ill, my big question does fever come with lupus flare? I have never had a lupus flare, I still feel un well, my tummy feels bloated, during the fever i had no appitite, this is all so confusing, i just dont want them to jump to lupus and ignor that its something else like infection somewhere. they ran a huge amount of test,
i go back to rheum monday and he wants to do 1 week of predisone , please let me know if fever is part of lupus flare,, thanks, karen

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi Karen,

Sounds like a lupie flare to me, I always have a fever with my flares. One can feel very much like they have the flu during a flare, and my joints act up as well. I also have DLE, but also have SLE as well.

I'm sorry you're feeling so awful, and I hope they resolve this for you soon!

Hugs,

Karin

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello K Marie
I'm sorry you are feeling so unwell.

Yes fever can be part of a lupus flare but of course lupus being an inflammatory disease, a flare has many symptoms like infections which cause increased immune system activity, low complement and increased SED rate among them as well as joint aches and pains. I don't know how they can tell the difference if they can't detect any signs of infection. Maybe you will have to trust your rheumy's judgment.
Perhaps somebody else has more useful advice - sorry ! :(

I hope you're feeling better very soon.

Good luck
Clare

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, Karin And Clare,
Thank-you for responding, Your replies are helpful, esp to know fever can accompany lupus flares, I know any type of lupus can become changeful at anytime. I am at the mercy of my doctors, being so sick and helpless, I really dont have a lot of joint aches ( only the first few days) then it went away.
I will trust my rheum and try the predisone for a week if he wants that on monday, at least i have been a bit better in regards that the fever stays under 100 now, no more chills and covered in blankets MY ANKLES ARE WAY BETTER. I was hoping today for report on the 24 hour protien in urine test, and to see if my liver and white cells had improved, I saw on caller ID that hey had called while I was at work, SO I RETURNED THE CALL BUT no call BACK so far and the weekend is here. Ill let you know more when I get any info, its so nice to have freinds here that understand lupus, Thanks again !!
love, Karen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts