TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

Could anybody help? I recentley started 30mg prednisolone and 200mg plaquenil daily two weeks ago. It's just been great the response to the meds. I truly feel like a different person. I am still getting very tired but the aches and pains etc have really eased.:) ( which I'm truly grateful for)

Although so far a good response I am still having trouble with my fingers. The joint of each of my fingers are really swelling in this lovely sun that we're having. They're quite painful and seem to be cracking slightly and are discoloured still. The skin is also quite rough and thick?If I pinch them it takes forever for the skin to settle back down onto my finger? Not sure if this means anything:lol:

I did recently have a skin biopsy of my fingers which was in keeping with lymphocytic vasculitis so I'm wondering if the meds aren't working or that maybe I should give the meds longer to work? If any of you can advise that would be great.

Many thanks
Mrs M xx

Hope you are all having a good day today;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
:wavesmile:hi mrs m

i think you need to be patient. it can take any where from 3 to 6 months for plaquinel to beginning working. it took me alittle longer. the fact that you are feeling some what better is a good sign so maybe it won't take too long. i think some may have faster results but that not the norm.

get some rest and feel better
hugs and kisses

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Mrs M,

Could you give a call to your doctor and tell him that your fingers are still swelling? No use being in pain if he can help you sooner.

It is right that plaq can take months to work for people.
:rose:
Lyn

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Spell Binder and Lyn

I'm resting now as I've felt a little up and down today! Maybe I've tried to over do things as I was feeling better. Could it be although on the meds I still can't tolerate too much sun because I did spend some time in the garden yesterday. Along with my fingers I began with alot of discomfort in my feet and they are once again discoloured and sore and feel swollen.:worried:

I understand what you're saying about the plaquenil but it feels that the prednislone kicked in within a couple of days.

The dermy never mentioned about what would happen when on the meds other than if I feel a new lady it would be very interesting!!! Well yes I do feel a new lady but things have just crept up on me which is my fault for thinking I could spend time in the garden. Things luckily haven't done a complete u turn on me and things are still better than what they were before I started the meds.Phewww :thumbs:

Can I ask that do you lovely people on meds still have flares and still need to take things easy. I just thought that feeling better meant that I was back to some normality but maybe not? Am I fooling myself a little thinking everythings 100%

Mrs M x

·
4,430 Posts
Hiya, I felt the best on prednisolone whilst waiting for the plaq to kick in... as I have reduced the preds my body has reminded me at each reduction that I am not as normal as I think! and certainly in the garden doing a bit of weeding my fingers swell like sausages and i ache for a few days afterwards..my body just hates me to forget!!! I think it is normal to overdo it when we feel better, and we all fall into that trap very easily:rotfl:, give yourself some time and ease up a bit when you are sore, swollen etc etc and don't forget sunscreen and avoidance helps it all as well... all the best
Claire XX

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mrs M

Its easy to over do stuff when you think you are good just try 20 mins at a time. Garden in the shade or u could B a moonlight gardener lol

See your Dr again perhaps he could give you something else to help.
dixy

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
I am not sure if the doctor or pharmist told you but plaquenil can take a good 6 months to be level in your system so that you get all of it's benefits. I would try and be patient but you could ask you doctor about the swelling in the sun with the finger but my guess is he is going to say well if that is the case stay out of the sun. That is what mine did a couple of times till I told him to talk to my kids and tell them to stay out of the sun lol. It could be something else going on that is why I even say talk to the doctor just to see.

I is wonderful that you have started feeling so much better in just a short amount of time. I do hope that you get to enjoy that for a long time. In the meantime you will have to be patient to see if the meds help with the fingers, that is the bad news I guess.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys!

Thankyou for your kind words.;)

Wow! I think I'm far from understanding this illness, whatever it may be. :lol:

Mrs M x

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Word of caution Mrs M, I am 3 months into the Plaq, had an amazin Honeymoon period and overdid it but am now flaring terribly. I have every ache and pain imaginable and burning joints, far worse than before. My mouth ulcers are the worst they have ever been. Enjoy this time but tread carefully :hug:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Mrs M
As a rabid gardener I am going to ask a few crazy questions. :there:
Do you garden organically? Use ONLY organic fertilizer, compost, worm castings, etc?
Do you outlaw any chemical herbicide, chemicals, in your garden? :flowery:
Do you wear solid fabric gloves when you garden?
Do you wear a solid material hat when you are outside?
Have you stopped gardening between 10 and 4 on sunny days?

The reason I asked about organic gardening is that once I banned ALL chemicals, fertilizers, no herbicide, in my garden I started to have a reduction in my reaction to sun, and my health took a huge step forward.

I do not allow ANY chemical herbicide in my yard. For weed control I use white vinegar, full strength on sunny days, or my hands to pull them out. Remember if you use a good mulch, you will have less watering, weeding, to do. I prefer "green shavings" (not kiln dried) which I get delivered every few years. I put down about 4" and find it really makes a difference in my garden and my work needs.

I never work out there without gloves on and have found that if my hands are covered from the sun, I react very differently to the sun. I use the "Atlas" brand of gloves. I like the nitrile coated gloves. I use the "Fred Meyer" brand of mud gloves. They are great when I need to do a lot of potting.
I have a hard time wearing hats, they always get in my way. BUT I often wear my wraparound sunglasses and a baseball cap outside and find that it helps my sun response. It has something to do with the way the light enters the eye and it causes a reaction. Not sure I understand all the mechanics of it, but it has helped.

For years I have gardened early or late. It can get frustrating, but not as bad as being ill cuz I was too stupid and did not listen to the signs my body was giving out. My dilemma here is that we get really nasty mosquitos from the wetlands below us. We call them "huey-helicopters" They are HUGE and give a nasty bite. I have found that the "RAID" mosquito coils which burn/smoke, can give a lot of peace. I get them at Walmart in their camping section. Rather have the coils than be locked inside. I also provide a birdhouse for the swallows. By giving them a place to live, they are willing to help as insect control.

I have a couple of nice shade garden areas which are my concession to sun problems. I also have a lot of tall cedar trees around the house which give it nice shade. I LOVE those trees as they give me the ability to be outside on sunny days.

I am sorry your hands are giving you grief. I well know that pain. I have found that the Florian brand hand pruners are much easier to work with. They have a ratchet mechanism which reduces the stress on your hands. Target sells Fiskars hand tools which are ergonomically designed which are very comfortable to use. I have seen them at other places, but Target is the cheapest. You may have to invest in other ratchet pruners or such, as you need to rest your hands as much as you can. Let the equipment take the work, not your hands.

I hope I have been able to give you a few answers and coping means. You don't have to give up your gardening, just learn to garden differently.
Sally

1 - 10 of 10 Posts