·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello again all
let me say thanks for the insight I've gained from this forum
but I have a few more questions
after researching it myself, I can't get a solid answer about this:
what is a flare? how do you know you're having one? and how can you tell it's coming on?
I know lupus differs for everyone, but there has to be some commonality, right? I definitely have good days & bad days, days where symptoms are killing me, when they're moderate, and when they're barely there. (days where I'm all over the symptom check-list vs days when I've only got a few)

I would really love to get to the bottom of this
thanks again
T

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi and :welcome:

It's a bit different for everyone as you state however an increase in temperature, fatigue, mouth and/or nose ulcers, worse joint pain and increase in hairloss as well as facial rash and livedo reticularis are usually my clues. Then whatever else decides to happen usually follows :rolleyes:

Here's what Mayo has to say about it all:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lupus/DS00115/DSECTION=symptoms

Sometimes I get what I call mini-flares and don't get all the above symptoms and it goes away in a couple hours or days. My 'real' flares usually carry the above symptoms and can last from a week to a year - big variation :lol:

love
Lily

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello :)

For me a flare means an increase in fatigue, joint pain, low grade fevers, night sweats, headaches, cognitive problems, neuropathy, pain stopping me sleeping, severe muscle stiffness... all the "symptoms" of my disease but worse than they are in my "stable" state where the ups and downs are less important.

Some flares can be short in duration (the mini flares Lily refers to) and might be a direct result of having done too much, sun exposure... or whatever "triggers" things for you. With those mini flares I know they'll usually go without needing to go to the doc but if they last or symptoms are more severe then I'm off to the doc pretty quickly.

Hope that helps. I'm afraid there is no set answer and it is something that you learn to recognise as you learn to know "your" disease.

Katharine

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi;

For me a flare starts with a general flu-like feeling. Mildly achy all over, low grade fever and increased fatigue.

If its a mild one...this is all I get and it passes in hours or days...if not it then progresses to more sever pain and higher fever then all the rest starts.

Stephanie

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I would echo what Sam said, a feeling of having the flu. My muscles start aching all over, joints hurt and I just have a feeling of being sick.

I would have to say I generally get mini flares and thankfully not major flares that have lasted weeks or months. For me it seems more like I have days that are good and then periods of days where I am so bad I feel crippled.

Flares are hard to understand as they effect everyone differently and YOUR flare may be totally different then MY flare.

Lupus is tough to understand but stick around here and you will learn so much from a great group of people.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks y'all
this info clears up many many questions
I was recently in Florida, spent a lot of time in the sun, got hives, rashes, fevers, muscle & joint pain, felt a chill all over my body but also felt like my face & head were burning up, an all over weariness/fatigue, the whole bit.

I've gotten so much good advice & support here I have to ask one more question. I have a GP appointment in a few weeks, I want to know what's going on but don't want him to think I'm pushing for a specific DX (afraid he'll think I'm faking it)
should I force it on myself? intentionally do what I know aggravates my symptoms so he can see what's going on?
what do you think? is that stupid?

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hello again Sweet Tea,

NOPE, not stupid at all. I laid out in the sun all day long last year so that my skin would erupt with blisters and ozzzz liquid just so the doctor could see it with his own two eyes. I also know certain things I do will make my joints blow up like balloons and so yes, I did some things to intentionally make this happen. If it is stupid then call me stupid but it sure got me the attention I deserved and was not getting because at the time my blood work was still normal.

Also, journal your symptoms daily if you can, record your temperature and keep a diary of that and take pictures of any rashes, inflammation, etc...that may show up so that you can pull out your camera and put the proof under there nose.

Your a brilliant man and I give Cudo's to you!!!!!:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow Karol, thanks
I have been keeping track of when my symptoms happen & to what degree, what seems to tigger them, but I haven't shown anyone yet (least of all the doc). I've been really worried that he'll think I'm faking, looking for something, then diagnose me with Munchausen syndrome & send me on my way. I know I'm such an unlikely candidate for lupus, it's a longshot, docs can gloss over the symptoms & say it's all anxiety.

like I said, my wife's a PA, and I only told her about everything 2 weeks ago, then it was just because she asked. of course she's noticed the big things, not sleeping, the fevers & sweats, the confusion. but I don't want to cause her needless worry.

I've been healthy all my life, used to work 60 hrs a week, run 15 miles/ week, play baseball & hockey, never even really caught a cold... so this whole experience is kind of bewildering.
but that's what I'm going to do, I'm gonna force the issue & see what happens. I figure it's a win/win situation- either there's trouble & I can prove my case, or I don't get sick, & that's great.
thanks again...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.