The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have been in a flare on and off for about 4 months now since I had a heart procedure in July that triggered off another heart problem and postural hypotension/tachycardia.

I have been on a reducing dose of steroids and got down to 7.5mg and stayed there since then but I have developed a cold and now have no energy whatsoever. Everything is an effort (it was an effort before but now today its 10times worse!!)

My normal GP is on holiday this week so I spoke with the duty dr who has increased my steroids up to 10mg until it goes and also given me antibiotics.

I just wondered whether anyone knew whether an sle patient (and many other serious medical conditions including heart problems) should have antibotics when they get a cold? I dont get many colds at all really and its not a heavy cold possibly due to the steroids masking the symptoms so if anyone has any information they can pass on to me re sle and colds and antibiotics that would be great!

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

I don't really have the answer to this, more just a thought - Isn't a cold viral? and therefore wouldn't usually be treated with antibiotics?

Obvioulsy if an infection develops then anti-biotics are still essential as for anyone, especially those at higher risk.

Katharine

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
My doctors will not prescribe an antibiotic to me just because I've gotten a cold. I have to suffer for 2 or more weeks and have specific signs and symptoms of a sinus infection/ear infection before I will get antibiotics (unless I get a fever plus sinus infection/ear infection signs - then I can get it sooner). Yeah for the fear over antibiotic resistance!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
colds are viral, so I would usually only be given an antibiotic if I got a secondary bacterial infection. It won't do anything for your cold.

There have been times when my doctor gave me a script ahead of time that I could fill if I got a bacterial infection (I get a lot of sinus infections after colds)

feel better soon

raglet

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all

Thanks for your responses.

I phoned the dr again and spoke with another one in the practice and he said that the antibiotics had been prescribed because I am known to have chronic and serious sinus infection which is why i got them. Anyway I said at the moment, its just a cold although my sinuses do hurt there is no infection at the moment but if they dont settle down then Im to start the antibiotics.

Like all of you, I am very wary about antibiotics and grateful to you all for your input which only went to prove to me that I was right in the first place and glad I checked with the dr!

Thanks again and best wishes to you all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts