The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
Well it has been a while I have been off the prednisone for about two weeks THIS SUCKS I am back in pain and in bed I just feel sick again. I went to the rhumy today he wants to start me on pred and something called methotrexate on a regular basis ???? I have not been on the methotrexate is it the same as Plaqunill ???? He is not going to start them right away though he wants to get another blood test and posibly a muscle biopsy . Has anyone had that done ? Does it hurt , What is it like? All this and still not a DX yet . I mean dont get me wrong I am thankfull that we are finaly treating things . But without a DX I can't get any help with social security or from our insurance co . And it is getting realy tight with just one income and all my medical bills . sorry I Just needed to rant a little . Well I hope someone can help with my questions I am a little scared about the biopsy though.:eek:

THANKS
Laurie

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
(((((((Laurie)))))))))) You are right it does suck :hug:

Methotrexate is a much stronger drug than Plaquenil and most docs would try the Plaquenil with you first, it may be all you need to get this under control. Granted it will take longer than the Methotrexate to work but along with some Pred it should be ok for you and you can give it time to work.

Methotrexate is a strong immunosuppressant, it is also used for cancer patients, but we take it in much lower doses than they would and therefore the side effects can be much less.

I wish he would stop mucking you around and just treat this, how long do you think it will take for him to get the muscle biopsy etc. And remember if you are on Pred when you have any of these tests done they can alter the results. If he's talking Methotrexate and already giving you Pred then he really should just do it :( I mean he could call it Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease if he wants, that is a recognised diagnosis when they arent sure which connective tissue disease you have and your insurance etc. would take that as bonafide. It would also be better to have that on your records rather than Lupus etc. as far as life insurance etc. goes. Often Lupus patients get knocked back for insurance because of their confirmed diagnosis.

Is he still talking about another skin biopsy? It's best to be off Prednisone and other immune modifying drugs whilst you have all your tests done. But if you are having a really hard time which it sure sounds like you are then he should just treat you now and not worry about that extra testing :hugbetter:

I hope things improve for you soon.

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Lauri, I was started on plaquinel, and he left me on that while we did tests and watched my symptoms. Then , when nothing was helping with the pain, he put me on the
methodextrate. He used that for trying to control pain. I
found that they seemed quite safe, and not many side effects that I can remember. I do hope that you get a chance to try it and that you will benefit greatly from it.:wink2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts