The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am currently taking Quinacrine @100mg per day but find it over stimulating, sleep issues etc.

My question is for those who are on it or have taken it, do you know how low you can go with it still being effective?

I have read that some take it 3x per week so 300mg per week which is around 50mg per day but anyone know if it has still helped at 2x per week, even 1x per week? I know the half life is very long, around 5-14 days so once or twice a week could be a possibility perhaps, that would be around 20-25mg per day essentially.

I plan on discussing this with my Dr. at my next appointment, but hearing others first hand experiences is always beneficial.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Andrew

I suspect that you will have to find out for yourself considering that we all react so differently to medicines for good and for bad. I can only say that I have heard of people who do fine with 100 mgs twice a week and I shouldn't think it makes a jot of difference if you call that evry three days or every four. Of course most people prefer to have the same days. You could decide on weds and then sats or suns or if you forget once you could take it the next day. It's not rocket science or any sort of science come to that. Like so many questions, the only answer is, " It All Depends " or "Trial and Error "

You shouldn't act on advice from a forum, but in your place I would start reducing the dose already depending how much each pill is. I would halve the dose. It's not going to have any serious harmful effect. No doubt you will soon see if you sleep better and your mood improves. It might take a little longer to see if the symptoms are worsening at the lower dose. You can probably contact your doctor or his office and tell them that you are going to reduce.

By the way, if you are drinking at all it could be a good idea to stop and see if that helps. Quinacrine can react badly along with alcohol in some people and anyway alcohol also affects the CNS

Good luck

Clare

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input.

I don't drink any alcohol. I surely understand that everyone reacts differently I was just curious as to how low some have gone and still felt benefits. Twice per week sounds promising that you can still get some benefits so thanks for the input.

I would never change my dose without my Dr.'s approval of course. I was just looking from some info and user experience so I could gadge some posibillities of "trial and error" as you put it. Any changes would be upon the approval of my Dr.

If anyone else has any experience on low doses of Quinacrine, feel free to chime in.

Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.