TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just got a reply to a post from another site, i have been told that you don't get RA with lupus you get Jaccouds arthropathy.
cos i was told you can only get RA in the spine, in your neck area by the base of the skull.
This all said and done then why do the DR's tell us that we have RA.
I seem to be getting more confused by the minute, and i thought i knew alot about lupus.:eek:
Is Jaccouds a form of RA?

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Doris,

I am by no means an expert on this but I think that many people here (and their often highly regarded rheumies) would take issue with that. RA is a pretty common lupus overlap.

Having said that, it seems that the difference between the two is perhaps not always very clear and that you can indeed have Jaccoud's athropathy with SLE (just what I picked up from googling it).

A couple of links for the differences - if it is important - what counts is the correct treatment.

http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Jaccouds_arthropathy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheumatoid_arthritis

So, I still have no idea but it seems a bit of a "blanket" statement and I really don't think that you can "only" get RA in " the spine, in your neck area by the base of the skull".

Katharine

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Katharine,

I know we get told so many things, the brain doe's not take it all in at times.
It's just my Chiro said that i had RA in my lower back. And she would know what she's talking about, right.
thanks again.

·
Registered
467 Posts
hi doris,

i know for a fact that RA doesn't just affect the spine and neck. my brother has it everywhere and grandmother was crippled and in a wheelchair because of it. as far as lupus, i believe they can over lap. i do know that RA disfigures the joints and usually with lupus that doesn't happen.
again i'm not a doctor but i think my facts are somewhat correct.

take care
hugs and kisses

·
11,405 Posts
RA effects your joints hands, wrists, fingers, toes, well you get the idea.:wink2: I know several people on this board that have sle with ra overlap.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
..............and several people who have the rheumatoid factor in their blood but don't have Rheumatoid Arthritis too :) There is a more specific test these days for Rheumatoid Arthritis called the Anti-CCP.

As far as:

It's just my Chiro said that i had RA in my lower back. And she would know what she's talking about, right
I would want to see what the Radiologists report said about your scan rather than how your Chiro interprets it. What does your Rheumy say? Osteoarthritis is common in backs but lots in the general population get that. RA is less common in the back but of course can occur, it more often favours the hands, feet, neck etc.

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Lily,
I read the report that the chiro recieved, i should have asked for a copy which i will when i go back in a couple of weeks.
Still waiting to hear from the Rhuemie.
I just want to know what the **** is wrong with me. That's not to much to ask is it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts