The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 year old son was diagnosed with SLE and lupus nephritis last June. Since then he has done extremely well on Prednisone and Cellcept. He is currently being tapered off Prednisone and is down to 10mg every other day which started about 3 weeks ago. Today he has developed a very red, sore to the touch rash on the inside of his lower arms. It looks like a contact dermatitis. He does not have a fever, a rise in blood pressure, or any other symptoms. Does anyone know if this could be from lupus? I have put hydrocortisone cream on it for now and I am going to call the doctor in the morning but was curious if anyone has had similar problems. Thanks so much.

P.S. One point that may have something to do with this, we just got a puppy 3 weeks ago. He got his distemper shot the day before yesterday and I know this sounds crazy but I wonder if when my son picked up the puppy he could have gotten some of his urine on him and it caused this rash.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
KCsMom,

Lupus can cause various rashes. With the tapering of the prednisone "new" symptoms could be appearing that you haven't seen before. My rule of thumb is to call my Rheumatologist when anything substantial comes up and let him decide what should be done. Your rheumy could well refer you to see a dermatologist. If it is difficult to get ahold of your rheumy I hope you can get in to see your GP/PCP.

Has your son been around dogs before? If not could he be allergic to dogs? Have you changed laundry detergent, shampoo, etc. etc. Those are questions the doctor will probably ask you.

Hope this helps as I really don't have personal experience with rashes other than a couple very minor rashes that can occur with lupus that don't have to be dealt with.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi my name is Laurie and I also have SLE and the strange thing is before I had ever learned about Lupus I broke out on my face and my lower arms. Thats actually how they diagnosed me with Sle they did skin biopsies of my arms and my face. I hope that it is nothing serious tho. I hope to hear more about your son. Thanks and you and your son take care.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts