The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I sat in my husbands soft top car!

When I got back I noticed my legs under my jeans had raspberry coloured rash from knees to hips-very intense rash but not lumpy! It did dissapear within 2 hours of not being in the sun - went fron bright red to pale red to blue/grey then dissapeared!

Now I know this was probably the sun/heat that caused this, BUT what can I do to prevent it!

Also hope it does not indicate any other problems - not sure!

Thanks!

Lesley

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am so glad you posted that! I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago. Freaked me out:eek: . I too think it was the heat of the sun, not uv as I was in a car with tinted windows and had on jeans. I guess we are to avoid heat to prevent it, but I too wonder if it is a symptom of something more serious?

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Neongirl!

No responses yet!

Maybe someone will still come up with an answer! I will of course ask my Immunologist - luckily I see him on Monday 12th May!

Will post again with his response!

Lesley

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I don't know whether it might reflect problems other than lupus but heat is often an additional consideration to actual sun exposure in people with lupus. The heat expands the blood vessels which might be a bit fragile anyway due to some degree of vasculitis.

:(

Clare

·
Registered
869 Posts
Thanks Clare. Lesley, I look forward to reading about what your immunologist says, my next rheumy appt. isn't until July. Take care:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
It is possible that it was sun exposure, even through the jeans. I think we often forget that UV light can and does actually get through a lot of clothing. You can get special clothing that is UV resistant if you are really sensitive. I know this clothing is fairly widely available in places like NZ and I think Australia, where the UV intensity is so much greater, but I am sure you can get it in other places too. I would guess that tightly woven fabric (like microfibre) is far more UV resistant that the loosely woven, cotton fibre fabric of denim. Its yet another thing to think about as the weather warms up!

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update!

Well Immunologist thinks it maybe caused by the sun (allergy) and the fact that I have SLE!

Was on Citirizine (antihistamine) for hands swelling, tingling, stiffness for 1 month - it did not help!

NOW - prescribed Fexofenadine 180mg (antihistamine and also used for odema and hives) - for all of the above and heat induced rash (if thats what it is!).

When I get my dermatology appointment I will bring the rash up with them! I see Immunologist in 2 months, so will see if new med helps with anything!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
869 Posts
Thanks for posting back. I hope the fexofenadine works, if it doesn't I guess that rules out allergy stuff, maybe leans more toward something with blood vessels :shrug: . It would be great if all it takes is 1 little pill to fix though wouldn't it:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts