The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Does anyone else suffer from freezing cold fingers, toes and nose?

I've tried 'Handeze' gloves as I do a lot of needlework, but they only cover my palm and it's my fingers that need the help! Full-finger gloves aren't much use when you're trying to do delicate embroidery . . and in any case, they don't warm up cold fingers. I've also tried sheepskin wrist-bands (I was told if you keep your wrists warm, your fingers will stay warm) .. don't work :(

My toes also get cold and extra socks don't appear to help - and I'm fed up with waking in the night because my nose has turned into ice!

I haven't been diagnosed with either Lupus or Reynauds as yet - I'm due to attend the St Thomas's clinic next month so I'm hoping for a confirmation then - but if anyone can give me any hints on coping with this unpleasant symptom in the meantime I'd be very grateful!

Abi
x

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi Abi, I have raynauds. I can't help with any tips on needlework, I am afraid. My hands go completely numb and I cant feel anything, I am unable to even put key in the door!!!! I am not looking forward to winter!! :hehe:

Gentle exercise improves your circulation, layers of clothes, hot drinks, heat pads can all help. If it becomes problematic then mention to your doc.

I hope someone else can help you more.

Deb

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips, Deb . . Oddly, it's when I'm using my hands, ie, for typing or needlework - that they seem to get cold! Maybe it's cos I've got into the habit of tucking them between my knees when I'm just sitting watching TV, so that they keep warm!

I read somewhere that vasodilators can help; anyone tried them?

Has anyone ever tried Tiger Balm? It was mentioned on my FMS group a while back but I'm a little nervous about trying it in case I get a skin reaction.

Abi
x

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, I tried a med called nifedipine to help with my raynauds, but it didn't work for me. They can lower your blood pressure and mine used to be very low anyway. Also they made my face flushed a lot. I think that there are a couple of others that can be tried. It is best to speak to your doc.

Deb x

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Abi,

I have raynauds too. I wear finger less thermal gloves when typing it does tend to help. Generally just layer up and try and keep warm thermal vest and socks. Hot drinks, heat packs etc.
Yes i use tiger balm but not for raynauds just as extra help to ease paines in joints.

Take care

Rachna xxx

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello Abi.Me too with the Raynaud's and it is still a problem for me in a warm climate in Australia!Keeping the core warm with thin warm layers rather than too many thick ones is helpful making sure you are really warm before you are going into a cooler enviroment as well I am sure the locals in my supermarket think I am a mad woman who runs around the aisles,but I find just being in there too long will provoke an attack.Dont know about medication either as I am in the process of going to see a new doctor but if I find something that is effective I will be sure to let you know.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Abi,

I use Ben Gay on my hands in feet mainly in the winter when the cold reeks havoc on my body. I put it on the skin and then place my socks on.......it helps a lot. For my hands the same but gloves if I am going outside.

While in the house I just dress warm with layers. It is frustrating and I hope you find something that works for you.;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Abi,

I too have Raynauds and take Adalat (nifedipine). Although I'm on max medication I will still commonly get Raynauds attacks, especially September - April (UK).
If you are seeing a doctor ask them to check out for Anti-SSA and Anti-SSB ANAs, but also Antiphospholipid. The first two are strong indicators of Raynauds.

Ultimately you need to keep warm at all times, like toast if you can, and dont take risks. Wear gloves and hats, and carry another coat around in your car. Sudden air temperature changes can bring on an attack, or rain and wind, and if you have the antiphospholipid ANA you MAY also be at incresed risk of clots, DVTs, and strokes. But you also need to take care that you dont 'burn' yourself. I put my hands in hot water only to find its too hot when I get the feeling back.

Too many medics ignore the impact of Raynauds. When you get cold, it can be deep, and you have to do something about it.:(

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi all,

For those of us with Raynauds one of the worst things you can do is plunge your hands/feet whatever into hot water. It damages the blood vessels further and makes the condition much worse :(

Far better to warm them up slowly with warm water.

love
Lily

·
4,445 Posts
Hiya I have raynauds too.. got rechargeable heated insoles for my boots and battery operated gloves with three settings for my hands... I take nifedipine and have been told I will be sent off for Iloprost (prostaglandin) infusions over five days (six hrs a day) as my raynauds is that severe..oh joy.. so I took it into my own hands..;) and snuck off to the caribbean for a couple of weeks... it is a pleasure to be warm, for my joints and my hands and feet.. not so great because I am photosensitive.. factor 50 and skulking in the shade.. however if it puts off the ivs.. it just has to be worth a try hey?:lol:
wish me luck with my plan!
Claire X

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.