The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

I finally have a functioning computer again (yay), so I apologize for not being able to respond to my last post a few months back (and thanks to all those who gave advice).

I just noticed last week that I've aparently started to exhibit Raynaud's phenomena in my hands and feet. I was a bit shocked to find that my hands had gone blue-purple and white in spots while the water turned cool in the shower. It only lasted a few minutes and then they turned a scalded red color before blanching back to normal. Granted, my definition of normal is vastly skewed, but I knew this was Raynaud's on sight. Now it seems it doesn't take anything major for them to discolor like that (sheer morbid fascination caused me to run my hands under cold water to see if I could reproduce this and determine that this wasn't just some random fluke thing that my system loves to throw out from time to time...and yes, it happened again)--even the normal temperature we keep the apartment at seems to do it.

Is this normal for Raynauds? I haven't been to the doctors since we moved from Illinois (we're in Maryland now due to my fiancee's civilian job with the Navy). Is this even something worthy of making a doctor's appt for? I know they can't dx lupus or classify lupus with this even given my other positive labs in the past. I don't have health insurance right now (was going to wait until we're married in June) and I don't even want to guess what the labs would cost if they re-did the bloodwork they always do when I go to a new rheumatologist. Any advice?

Thanks for listening :)

Envy

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Envy,

Raynauds may well be another sign that you are developing a collagen vaqscular disease like SLE. It also happens on its own though, so it is in no way diagnostic.

Unless you are suffering with it (eg loss of blood flow for extended times, lots of pain), it isn't urget that it is seen. How long will it be until the insurance is sorted out? If it isn't going to be too long, you can probably wait until the insurance is sorted out.

Do make sure that once you can see a rheumatologist that you tell them about this though. It may well be significant.

All the best,

X C X

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have had raynauds for as long as i can remember.

Just over the last couple of years it got worse. My fingers would turn white if i touched anything remotely cold.

They would feel like ice cubes to the touch and in a couple of finger they would turn purple or blue, that always made me nervous.

A couple of weeks ago my rheumy gave me Procardia to take once a day and now i have red hands :) . I don't think i have ever seen my fingers as red and alive as they look now.
No more cold to the touch.

Talk to your doc about it.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Envy,

I also have Raynaud's and it isn't fun. Mine has been getting worse over the last few months.

There are a number of things you can do to help it while you wait to see a doc. I find I need to respond to it as soon as possible as I can lose the feeling in the tips of my fingers and it can be very painful - mainly my right hand. I always carry warm gloves with me and also hand warmers. Even just wrapping my hands round a cup of tea or coffee helps.

The trick is not to warm them to fast as this can increase the pain. Start wiggling your fingers, if this doesn't work for me I suck them in my mouth - sounds gross but does work eventually. Also, if you can get someone to heat your hands but not rub them too hard, you don't want to damage the blood vessels.

I can never predict when it will happen as I've had it happen to me in warm climates. I do know that air conditioned environments and the freezer sections in supermarkets are the worst.

I hope you get some relief and answers soon. Keep us posted.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

Hi Envy
First of all i am glad you finally got your computer back and running again.I also have Raynaunds and ahd it since i was a very little girl.I used to go outside for recess and turn purple in the lips and hands and feet and sometimes it would get a red tint to it also.I have gotten a lot worse as i get older to the point my right hands when i have trouble with the raynauds it turns completely purple.I am using some nitro cream for mine in between the webs of my fingers and toes.I could not go otuside when i was little for more then 20 minutes without turning so purple it was very frustrating.I was told when i was 18 years old what it was and that it was going to cause health problems as i get older and there was nothing i could do for it at that time anyway.I did smoke at the time and was told if i was to quit it would help but not get rid of the problem.Well long story short :lol: there are options to help you with it and i think it would be worth it to see a doctor for it.Just my opinion though.Goodluck and please let us know if you get anything figured out.

Tammy

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Envy, nice to have you back. I also have Raynauds, but I didn't think there was anything they could do for it. Besides, I am taking enough pills, and I don't want to take any more, and I can live with the Raynauds pain.
Be well and take good care of that computer>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your advice! It really does help to know that others have gone through similar things. The advice about re-warming the hands I'll definitely take to heart--I really don't like that prickly feeling they get as they go red again, so keeping them warm and slowly re-warming should surely help. And I'll be sure to take better care of my computer (no more blue screen of death for me!) :rolleyes:

Take care!
Envy:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts