The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiEveryone, I just got rediagnosed at my new hospital with sle. My rheumy is nice. Turns out I have thrombocytopenia and an over-active thyroid (or was it underactive??) I have refferals and appointments for these issues. I am threem mths pregnant, how would all this impact my pregnancy. What treatments will they give me? I am on prednisone 5mgs a day for years now since my initial diagnosis.I was up to 10mgs recently because I was feeling flare-ish but my rheumy said the lower the dose the better for my pregnancy, so I'm back to 5mgs. Any info or advice about any of this woul be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time guys :)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Reisha, It is quite a long time since I was pregnant, but I am sure some of the younger women here will be pleased to help you.
x Lola

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Reisha

I'm sure your rheumie will liaise with your obstetrician to keep your sle under control with the least risk to your baby. I've no experience of lupus in pregnancy, though I'm sure my third pregnancy was one of the triggers for me.

I hope you get your referrals soon.

Love Judi xx

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Reisha,

I'm sorry about the diagnosis, but glad that you are hetting the right treatment.

Prednisolone is very safe to use in pregnancy, and doses below 20mg are considered the lowest risk. If you need it to control the illness it is better to take more pred and have good disease control than the other way around.

It is also possible and safe to take plaquenil and immuran in pregnancy, although they may be hesitant to start you on new meds in pregnancy unless it is really vital.

The good thing is knowing what you are dealing with will help the doctors watch out for the right signs and symptoms and give you appropriate tests and treatment sooner than if they were still guessing what it is.

You probably have an underactive thyroid. The treatment for this is thyroxine. It is also safe for use in pregnancy, and in fact important to protect the baby's development, so I hope you will be given meds for this soon.

Keep us updated,

X C X

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Riesha, congrat's on the pregnancy, I am very happy for you. I believe there is a 'Pregnancy" section on these message boards. I
half to say that Judi's idea of your two dr's working together, is a
very smart one. Please take special care of yourself now, and do keep us posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts