The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help please...
My father, who is 72, was diagnosed with lupus about 6 months ago.
He has been quite ill and is ageing rapidly.
He's been to the hospital several times now and the doctor he saw last time said his ill health was probably caused by the lupus disease, but he has still not been prescribed any medication.
I would like him to see a consultant privately.
Can anyone recommend a good knowledgeable consultant in the UK or know how to go about finding one?
Thanks
Stuart

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Stuart,

If you are seeking to go privately in the UK the most renowned lupus centre is the London Lupus Centre. There are several good doctors there and we have had personal recommendations for Dr D'Cruz, Dr Edwards, Dr Khamashta and Dr Tench.

http://www.londonlupuscentre.co.uk/index.html

Manchester Royal Infirmary also has a very good connective tissue disease clinic. I don't know if they do private consultations.

It is strange that your father hasn't been prescribed any medication, especially if they believe his problems are lupus associated. Perhaps this is something that had to be decided following further bloods? His case may not be simple if he has been suffering from lupus for a long time and also with his age.

Hope that helps a bit,

Katharine

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Just re-reading your post - six months does seem to be a very long time to have not been put on any medication.

·
Administrator
7,566 Posts
Hi, just wanted to say I have been to the London Lupus Centre and I received first class treatment, I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. You can get an appt within a couple of days as well. I hope you can get your father some treatment.

Deb

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I don't know how well you know London but the London Lupus Centre is literally straight over the road when you come out of London Bridge Station.
The staff are helpful and will answer any queries you may have. It really is the place to go.
x Lola

If your Dad has or can get any copies of test results for those he has had done it will probably be helpful and may save repeating them. (Tests are quite expensive privately because of the lab fees involved-just my advice- for what it's worth)

·
4,436 Posts
Hiya. Lola is right, taking all the results is a good idea, however don't be surprised if they run their own too.... they did for me.:( The cynic in me says they want the profit, but I did also notice that their measurement 'goalposts' are different... so also think they like to do bloods inhouse... mine cost around £450... just so you know, let them know if you have a budget, they would do everything otherwise, I only had the crucial ones done again....
I wish you well on your quest.
Claire X

1 - 7 of 7 Posts