The Lupus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else get this? The top of my hands, nose and around my nose are always red but seem to get worse in a flare and after I get out of the shower my knees and feet are bright red and I have red splotches all over my thighs. My doctor always avoids when I question this. Very Frustrating! it does not itch but the redness on my knees feet thighs always completely goes away. My nose and around my nose and hands are always slightly red. Kind of looks like dry skin but it is not

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi floridagrl,

I think a lot of us get this sort of thing after a shower, I try and not have the shower too hot and it seems to help. Also worth looking at is if you are using certain soaps/shampoos etc. that might be making your skin worse. I use a soap substitute, QV wash, Cetaphil is another good one, doesnt irritate my skin like 'real' soap.

love
Lily

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Floridagrl,:)

I am the same as Lily. I try not to have hot showers. The same thing happens to me. I end up red faced, and blotchy on my arms and legs.
I do however end up with the itches all over my body. Does go away soon after. I also use soap for sensative skin.
Hopes this helps.:wink2:

Denise

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I might be mistaken, but I think I remember reading that redness and blotchiness can be caused by histamines produced by the body as a reaction to hot water.

This could also explain your itchiness afterwards, Denise???

Probably way off, but worth considering.

My arms / legs are mottled with livedo reticularis, (harmless, I think, but a bit ugly) and this looks absolutely stunning red / dusky plum after a shower / bath!

I use Dove or aqueous cream (to wash with).

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
I can only say that I too experience this. My face being the worst. I just always thought it had to do with circulation problems.

It does go away after about 1/2 hour of being out of the shower.

I need a warm shower to loosen things up, so I put as hot as I can stand.

·
florie
589 Posts
This is interesting about the hot showers and red blochty skin.
I too have change the degree of temperature for showers. Not hot and not cold. I have had better luck since i don't steam up the bathroom and give myself a gentle soap wash and rinse. I also spend less time in the shower to just get rinsed soaped and rinse again. No red blocthes. So the hot showers are not good for us lupies. I also use a mild soap and rinse off with aveeno stress wash. Less itchy and less blochty.. Hope this makes sense and helps all.
florie
Happy valentines day to all.:rose:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.