TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a few days driving around in the sun. My nose and the areas around it now have a few small red blotches/patches. I've never had these before and was wondering if these are what people refer to as Lupus rashes (malar rash etc)??? They aren't sore or anything. They just look ugly :(

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi again,

I hope you were wearing sunscreen and applying it often?

There are lots of pics of the typical lupus malar rash on top of the symptoms forum to have a look at :)

love
Lily

·
Registered
631 Posts
Please make sure you are wearing sunscreen. When I get the rash (which I have almost constantly) it is on my cheeks and across the bridge of my nose. People usually ask me if I've been in the sun as mine always looks like a sunburn. I do get blisters on my legs if I am out without any sunscreen on.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi back again Lily :)

I was a bit naughty as the sun didnt seem that strong. But guess I was wrong!

CJM, yup the nose was very red as where parts of the cheek and a little around the bottom lip area. The most troublesome area though is the scalp - which is still very itchy and flaky.

I know the only way to prevent the scalp becoming affected is to where a hat - but it's very difficult to this when I'm working - which is Monday to Friday.

Oh this dreaded disease!!!!

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Some of us are affected by UVA rays which come through regardless of sunshine or season. You're the best judge of whether you can wear a hat or not , but if your work is out of doors or takes you out of doors surely it wouldn't be a problem. People might think it's a bit odd if you are otherwise formally dressed but you could probably find a style that would go with dress wear. There are many style choices for leisure wear whether sporty or suave.

Shade isn't necessarily a protection as UV is ambient, reflecting off surfaces. The best of all is avoidance.

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
If your skin is photosensitive, sun cream should be worn summer, winter, spring and autumn. It does not matter that there are clouds or its raining/snowing or the sun blazing - wear the suncream. Over exposure with photosensitivity has a higher risk with skin cancer!!!!!

I know I'd rather take 5 mins in a day to apply sun cream than suffer more later on in life!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohhhhhh! That's the thing you see. When it's cloudy I do get some symptoms and pains but definitely not the rash. Which then leads me to think that I'm not photosensitive.

Going back to something I said in another one of my posts - I think I'll just have to use the old trial and error method.

Frustrated :( But thanks for all the info guys :)

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Sorry I didnt make it clear!!

Applying suncream is not just for rashes, sunburn and prevention of skin cancer! It also works to help cut down the other Lupus symptoms e.g. pains, swelling etc.

Something else to also remember is perhaps to use antihistamine - this helps with prevention of sun reaction (rashes) and swellings in many instances.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
surferboy,
I am not sure if that is what is going on with you but you need to have sunscreen if you are going to be out in the sun and also make sure you drink enough as you can start to feel sick from being in the sun sometimes. You should look at the rash pictures and see if it looks like anything you have going on, even if it don't I would be contacting the doctor as either way it needs to be looked at and treated. I hope you start feeling better.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Greenhaggis, I think you were clear. It was me being a little slow :)

I've tried antihistamines before but boy did they make me groggy! I took one at night once and unfortunately had a big meeting the following morning!!!

A possible silly question coming up.... Erm, when out in the sun, does only the part of the body exposed to the UV rays flare? Or do the rays also affect those parts not exposed? EG If i have a pair of jeans on, sunblock on the face, but have a t-shirt on exposing my arms which do not have sunblock on, will only my arms flare? Or the whole body?

Apologies in advance if this is a super silly question!

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Surferboy,

Re. UV sun through clothes - yes rays can penetrate.

What you have to gague is are you being effected either by increased pain/flu symptoms along with a rash, flu/pain symptoms on there own or just a rash! You really do have to adapt things you do accordingly based on reactions youve had.

I get an severe ulticaria rash even though thick jeans!

Many antihistamines are available that do not cause drowsyness, I take one which is condidered one of the best - its called Fexfenodine (I personally dont get drowsy with this one, but everyone differs). Doses can vary, but I take highest dose of 180mg every day of the year. You will need to get this antihistamine prescribed as I dont think its available over counter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi surferboy,
not a silly question at all. for *me* personally, only parts of my body that have been directly hit by the sun have ever gotten a rash, but a friend's mom that has lupus got a rash on her legs when she was in the sun, but had pants on (the sun did hit her arms and she got a rash there, and on her cheeks). so it does seem to be possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's not just skin rashes that can flare. I go fishing with my hubby (he reckoned that if he taught me to fish when we were courting, and I liked it, he would get to go more often :lol:). I lather myself in sunscreen, but still need several days after to recover. The simple act of sitting outside for a few hours, even doing absolutely nothing, leaves me exhausted, with the mother of all headaches, aching limbs and a glowing blush to my cheeks and nose........i don't get to go often, only in the spring or autumn (never ever ever summer when the sun's at its strongest), I'm dressed like nanuk of the north, under a brolly :( but I still go once or twice a year, it just ends up having to be planned like a military operation!!

I guess I am saying, be prepared. Flares can encompass pain, headaches, extra fatigue and much much more. It's a question of quality of life. I cdn't cope if I knew I would never spend a day with my hubby, sitting quietly on a bank watching the dragonflies.

·
A bit loopy
38 Posts
In my case, only in Summer, in bright lights and on 'bad' days does my rash come out ;)

Alex :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sun Protective Clothing

Last summer I purchased a U.V. protective shirt. Most regular clothing isn't very protective expecially if it is light weight. Another thing I was surprised by was the relatively low spf of sitting under a shade tree or being in the shade outside. Even though you may not get burned, you are being exposed to UV raise which can flare your lupus. I did find that when I used high spf sunscreen and wore the UV protected clothing, I didn't feel as many effects the next day. Of course I still have to be ultra careful as I'm a person who can get 2nd degree burns even with sunscreen in a matter of minutes.

Amy

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I really don't understand my symptoms sometimes, I really don't!!!

After a few days of the rash being there, thankfully all of a sudden it's gone. I've since been out in the sun and thankfully it hasn't returned.

Still, I know how unpredictable Lupus is so not going to take any chances. I'm seeing my dermy next week and will ask him to suggest a exczema friendly sun screen. I think I may have possibly reacted to the Sun Sense that I used!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts