The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone get this? This isn't something I want to bother a doctor about but it's bugging me. I've never had pimples in my life so I really don't think it's that.

Is this part of the lupus rash? It's been here for about two months now and doesn't seem to get any worse around my menstrual cycle, any ideas?

Sleaps

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hey Sleaps,

I get sores in the corners of my mouth, they get quite red and raised. Initially I put some cold sore cream on them and then lavender oil and they didn't go away. I thought they might have been caused by sun damage.

Mentioned it to my Dr and he gave me some cream and told me that as we get older and our skin droops the saliva collects in the corners of our mouth. Makes for a damp environment for fungus growth. The cream worked so I guess he was right (again!!). And yes, the saliva does collect in the corners of my mouth so it is age related.

Not sure if this is similar to your experience but hope this helps.

Mootie

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
:rotfl:

I was just now thinking about you and your weird rash while I was in the "bathroom" :lol: See what a pathetic life I lead ! Oh dear me ! TMI methinks.

Anyway... I was composing a reply, trying ever so delicately to suggest that maybe you drool at nights. I didn't get very far with the delicacy did I, but you have made it easier.

I also was going to suggest using zinc oxide cream at nights and whenever you can in the day to help heal and protect.

I find zinc oxide ( nappy/diaper ointment) really handy.

Hugs from another night drooler

Clare

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I went to look up "angular cheilitis" which is those horrid sores at the corner of the mouth to check out a notion that Vitamin B supplements could help.
One source says that it is caused by "slobbering" :lol: Now there's a really awful word which I will add to my list of the most ghastly words in the English language along with 'orifice' and 'toe nails' ( I'm a pedophobe) etc

Wikepedia says

Although the disease has an unknown etiology, the sores of angular cheilitis may become infected by the fungus Candida albicans (thrush), or other pathogens. Studies have linked the initial onset with nutritional deficiencies, namely vitamin B (Riboflavin B2[1] and Cyanocobalamin B12[2]) and iron deficiency anemia[2], which in turn may be evidence of poor diets or malnutrition (e.g. celiac disease).

Angular cheilitis occurs frequently in the elderly population who experience a loss of vertical dimension due to loss of teeth, thus allowing for over-closure of the mouth.
Less severe cases occur when it is quite cold (such as in the winter time), and is widely known as having chapped lips. This lesser form mostly happens to young children/teenagers.[citation needed] The child may lick their lips in an attempt to provide a temporary moment of relief, only serving to worsen the condition.

Treatment

In mild cases in teenagers and young children (only having chapped lips), encouraging them to not lick their lips and applying protective paraffin-based ointment (such as Vaseline) or lip balms to the lips is normally very effective.
For more sever angular cheilitis, depending on the cause, antifungal and antibiotic medication (e.g. topical miconazole oral gel that has dual activity), vitamins supplements, and dentures for a person without teeth can abate the symptoms.
Cheers and speedy healing

Clare

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Don't worry I'm a drooler too...........sad isnt it :lol: but it sounds better than slobbering :hehe:

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Sleeps, Wow !, Clair t. really must be getting old,maybe ready for the old age home. I can say that as I kis her, I love her so much.
I have the same thing, yes, I drool too, and the corners os my mouth split open( ouch) this is the time everybody needs a Dermatologist,mine gave me a cream and it works great. As soon as I get dresses, about 1hour, I will race you all to the old folks home. hugs and love, and go get your cream. Oh, we have "thrush" to look forward to also, I've had that one, wow, maybe I am old.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My cat likes to sleep cheek-to-cheek with me. I'm sure it's him drooling all over my cheek!... then she thinks to herself "What about the other side?"

Nope, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. It's my slobbering, spitting, drooling fat cat, but I love him so much I would never dare ask him to stop. :rotfl:

Thanks for the laughs, ladies!

Sleaps

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey

I get this too. As well as vitamin tablets, my doctor prescribes me an ointment which is really effective; it's called Fucidin H. I guess I drool too, but I think that I am so tired, and so deeply asleep I can't help it!

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts