Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

the followin was written by Pickles in a post last spring on requirements for Disability in the USA.

There is a wealth of information in this forum. To read all the posts simply change the time frame at the bottom of the forum from the last 30 days to the begining.

This is from the "Social Security Disability Benefits" booklet that you can get at your local office or you can go to their website and read exact same thing.

Disability under Social Security is based on your inability to work. You will be considered disabled if you cannot do work you did before and we decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s). Your disability also must last or be expected to last for at least a year or to result in death.

From me::: YOU HAVE TO PROVE YOU CANNOT DO ANY KIND OF WORK if its sitting at a desk all day or answering phones to sitting at Walmart looking for shoplifters. You have to PROVE that you're disabled.

You can receive Social Security disability benefits until age 65. When you reach age 65, your disability benefits automatically convert to retirement benefits, but the amount remains the same.

TO QUALIFY FOR SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY BENEFITS:

You must have worked long enough and RECENTLY enough under social security(meaning they took soc sec out of your check) . You can earn up to a maximum of four work credits per year. The amount of earnings required for a credit increases each year as general wage levels rise. Family members who qualify for benefits on YOUR work record do not need work credits.(I think this means children under the age of 18)

The number of work credits you need for disability benefits dependsd on your age when you became disabled. Generally, you need 20 credits earned in the last 10 years ending with the year you became disabled. However, younger workers may qualify with fewer credits. The rules are as follows:

Before age 24:::You may qualify if you have six credits earned in the three year period ending when your disability starts.

Age 24-31:::You may qualify if you have credit for having worked half the time between 21 and the time you become disabled. For example, if you become disabled at age 27, you would need credit for three years of work(12 credits)out of the past six years)Between age 21 and age 27).

Age 31 or older::: In general, you will need to have the number of work credits shown in the chart shown below. Unless you are blind, at least 20 of the credits must have been earned in the 10 years immediately before you became disabled.

Born after 1929,
Becomes disabled at age Credits You need
31-42 20
44 22
46 24
48 26
50 28
52 30
54 32
56 34
58 36
60 38
62 or older 40

You can get a Social Security Statement that displays your earnings record and provides an estimate of your disability benefit. The amount of your monthly disability benefit is based on your lifetime average earnings covered by soc sec. You can go to www.ssa.gov or call 1-800-772-1213.

You might have to pay federal income tax on the disability you get IF you file jointly with spouse and you both make over 32,000 dollars a year(I think the amount is right).counting the disability you receive.

You can apply by going to your local social security office, calling the 800 number(usually always busy)or going to the website. Be prepared to fill out LOTS of forms.

You will need soc sec #, proof of age, names addresses and phone numbers of doctors, hospitals, clinics and institutions that treated you and dates;names of medications you take; medical records from doctors, etc(You usually fill out forms and soc sec can get them); where you worked and what you did for the last 15 years.

WHO DECIDES?????

Soc Sec office will review it to see if you meet the basic requirements for disability. They will look at whether you have worked long enough and recently enough, your age. The office will send your applicaton to the DDS office in your state. It could take 4 months to hear back from them. Most people(like me)are denied the first time, You can ask for a reconsideration and wait 4 more months to hear back from them and may get denied again(like I did). It could take 2 or more years to be approved(like it did mine)

They will also probably send you to other doctors that they recommend to get you checked out.

On the website, there is a "List of Disabling Impairments" that they keep of the major body systems that are so severe they automatically mean you are disabled.... Don't believe it!!!!!!!!!!Lupus is on there, I think the number is 14:00. Education also plays a part in it. You could have skills that they say you could use elsewhere.

I didn't mean for this to be so long but there is always new people and I always want to help.......Go back and read all the other posts under the social security forum, lots of info there.......Go to www.socialsecurity.gov and read all the things there. You can even ask questions and they will get back to you.

Like I said, YOU HAVE TO PROVE YOU CANNOT DO THE LEAST LITTLE THING....If you are working now and apply......You will be denied.

If you think you have a good case, apply now and the sooner the better.

By the way, The people who look at your applications are NOT doctors or nurses or anyone who knows anything about medical conditions...They are CLERKS who if they think you can work you will get denied.

If you apply and get a lawyer, he will get 25% or 5300 or your backpay. About medicare, I was given a card in February because my backpay went back 2 years...I didn't want the card but was told if I didn't get it and I needed it later, I would be penalized and would have to wait till a certain month to apply. I retired(had to)in 2001 and my employer pays all my medical bills with 0 money from me except copays...Now with medicare, I have to meet a deductible, pay what they don't pay and 66 dollars comes out of my disability check.

I DO hope anyone who applies gets it first time and doesn't have to go through what most of us have to endure while waiting on what is rightfully ours.

I think most of us would rather be working than being in pain most of time and feeling like we're not contributing. I worked for 30 years and now that I can't, I'm glad this is here but I went through hell trying to get it.

--------------------

Pickles

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.