TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I would be very grateful if somebody would point me in the right direction.

I want to read up on the effects of flourescent lights on people with SLE and related autoimmune conditions. It is so easy to read poor research. I want to know I am reading something sensible.

I always start to feel tired, or even fall asleep, if I am kept waiting for appointments, and i get rosy cheeks. When I have been involved in study, and certain jobs, the same thing has happened repeatedly in the past. I just worked through it, but often I was dead keen, and could not understand why I should be feeling this way.

It occurs to me that the only thing I can think of linking these experiences has been the fact that the lighting was provided by flourescent lights, so I would like to find out more.

Any help would be great.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Alwin,
At its most extreme this reaction has led to me suddenly going like "jelly", vomiting etc. having literally only gone a few yards inside a Supermarket.
Do read the information here, and if you think you have this problem I would suggest that you do not underestimate its effects, internal and external.
Not trying to scare you but maybe help you avoid the pitfall.
x Lola

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Alwin,

I have to scoff when I read accounts of how this is fairly rare.............I challenge that as a fair few of us are that sensitive. Likewise I scoff when I read advocates of the new compact fluorescents say that you would have to sit under them for ages to be affected. The lights in my docs rooms at the hospital obviously have no filters on them, by the time I wait 5 or 10 mins to see him I have a facial rash and livedo reticularis all over my arms and legs, even if I have long sleeves and long pants on :p so he at least knows it can happen.

http://www.lupusmd.org/docs/body-light_sensitivity.html is another article you might like to read.

If you look up Pubmed journal articles there are a lot on various studies where they have found certain problems in Lupus patients with UV exposure that are not present in non Lupus patients with the same exposure. There might be a few (and quite complicated) factors involved, so far they have not uncovered one definitive problem across the board.

Hope this helps.

love
Lily

1 - 4 of 4 Posts