The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
florie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ,

You were all right on answering to my post.

I have an inner ear infection. I got to see a ear doc yesterday. put me on METHYLPREDISOLONE.

Today my GP called and will see me this month once i finish the med pack.

Thanks to all of you for answering my post . will keep you up dated..

Hugs, Florie

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Florie

I hope you'll be feeling much better very soon. I am sorry life is so tough for you all round these days.

Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Ear infection but no antibiotics? The prednisone should help those ear canals get less swollen and help to drain out what's in there, hopefully that will do the trick. If it doesn't, be sure to go back!

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Florie, I am sorry that I missed your first post, but I got the just of things
by reading todays post. I am so sorry that you are not feeling well, I have also been
feeling rotten for the last three months. I sure hope that the med. you dr. gave you works, and works fast. I sure have missed talking to you. Please get better soon. Rest and smile.

·
florie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all on me getting better soon. I am surprised myself that no antibiotic were prescribed. I can't stand the Medrol dose pak . Makes me feel sick :sick: I hope it works soon cause I am feeling brain damaged :lol:

No fever. Just headaches and dizziness, fluid in my ear canal sounds like dogs barking when i walk. :sad: But i have an appt. set up with my gp. I told them i want bloods done, and am going to ask for an mri of my head. I have had on going problems and not to long ago my gp thought i had a mini stroke and no test was done. I am fed up with it all. All i want for xmas is to feel much great. Thanks again all,
Florie

·
Registered
34 Posts
inner ear..

Hi Florie,

Im so sorry you are suffering with the inner ear infection, i too have had that a few times and it sure makes you feel off balance, dizzy and generally ill. I have never been prescribed antibiotics for it as the doctors say inner ear infections are viral rather than bacterial so anitibiotics wont touch it!

I suffer so badly with my ears and i did ask whether it could be linked to the lupus, but nobody seems to know.

I hope you feel better soon. I was asked by my hubby what i wanted for christmas and sadly my only reply was "something money can't buy, good health", so i know exactly where you are coming from.

Take Care
Jane
x

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Well, it's caught on to me now! I don't know if I have a cold or what, but I feel my head "blowing up" and can't hear properly as my ears are full of fluid and I can actually hear the fluid moving around if I bend down and turn my head while picking something up under the bed (for example!). I also have that slightly sick/nausea sort of feeling from it. Yuck.

My doctors will typically not do anything for me while at this stage when it's just an inner ear full of fluid; but after it goes on for a few weeks then it usually turns into an infection (bacterial) which needs treatment. Let me know if the prednisone starts to work for you as I may ask my doctor for that treatment myself! Maybe I can prevent the bacterial infection this way.

I never got this way until the last few years, I'm not sure what changed and has me getting this way a few times a year now. I do wonder if it is lupus related myself.

·
Administrator
10,198 Posts
Hi Florie,

Did the doctor suggest anything to help with the dizziness? There are over the counter drugs they can suggest to help you out with that part at least.

:flower2:
Lazylegs

·
florie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maia, so sorry you too are suffering from this inner ear thing. Every symptom you mentioned is exactly whats going on with me. I am a little better but not yet myself. I have no desire of going out unless my fianc'e drives me to an appt. i have.

Lazylegs, the only thing the doc said is to get plenty of rest. It takes weeks to go away. And no driving. I read that when your on medication you can't get any live vacines. That means i still am without the flu shot.

hugs to all, Florie

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The flu shot is a killed virus vaccine so you should be able to get it if you want to... the intranasal flu spray vaccine is a modified live virus vaccine which is not recommended actually for any lupus patient whether on prednisone or immunosuppressants or not.

Glad to hear you are improving a bit. We'll have to stay in touch to see how we recover from this thing. ;) Take care...

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I hope you are feeling better very soon Florie.
Like Maia I am rather surprised you aren't on antibiotics. And she is right about the flu vaccine - it is recommended for us and the more immuno suppressed we are the more important it is to have it, sometimes even twice because it doesn't 'take' so well.
However it might not be a good idea to have it until this ear business has cleared up. My GP did say it is OK to have it so long as you don't have a temperature but with trouble like the ear that might be different and if it has waited this long hopefully waiting a bit longer won't do any harm.

Maia I am sorry that you too are afflicted and hope you'll get over it soon.

All the best
Clare

·
florie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello just an update,

I am not getting over with this ear thing and have one pill left...

I was wondering if this inner ear thing can effect your vision? My vision hasn't been that well either. But i am going to see the eye doc this afternoon.
Just wondering if it's time to call the ear doc again, maybe he will have something else for me. I am frustrated , can't go out and x-mas is coming.
Maia, what has your doc recomended for you?
Clare, when i go see my gp i will ask her of the flu vaccine.

I will be in touch again. hugs to all, florie

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Good luck at the docs Florie :luck: let us know how you get along. He may need to start something like antibiotics.

love
Lily

·
florie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
other symtoms and meds.

Hi all,
Well I saw my eye doctor yesterday, tested my vision seems to be okay. He said the ear fluid can cause my blury vision. He prescribed an eye drop called
Zylet. I use it four times a day.It is a steroid and antibiotic combination to treat inflammation where an infection or risk of infection is present. It has helped me with some eye relief of the tension from my ear. My eye doctor doesn't know why i am not on an antibiotic either.
My eye doctor ordered a ct scan on my brain and inner ear canal. I go thursday for that.

I went back to the ear doctor today and he see's no infection in my ear. Pointed out on the chart of the inner ear canal fluid. He now prescribed Mecuzine. It is an antihistamine used to treat and prevent nausea,vomiting and dizziness caused by motion sickness. And still no antiobiotic............. I left his office and cried in the car. What do you think about all this??

luv,florie

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Florie,

I hope the new meds give you some relief. I guess the ear doc thinks at this stage it is viral rather than bacterial owing to your symptoms. It's very common to have a viral infection and have lots of fluid in your ear. It can take some weeks to clear up, I've had it in the past. My doc didn't really have to take any action we just waited and it did clear. Yours sounds a lot worse then what I had though and you must have a lot of fluid in there. The scan will help to work out what's going on, it will establish if there are any problems with drainage of a structural nature, this can happen because of severely swollen sinuses too, so it's worthwhile going through with it.

Hugs to you, what a drama having to put up with this right now when you want to be out and about doing things for Xmas.

love
Lily

·
Administrator
10,198 Posts
Good luck with your scan on Thursday Florie. Let us know how it turns out.

I am glad to see the doctor gave you something to help the symptoms. I hope you get some relief quickly.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Florie,

I hope you feel better very soon. :rose3:

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Hello again... all I can say is that is the "normal" course of events for me when I get like you except usually it's just a wait and see with nothing prescribed. My condition has improved already & I'm back to normal. The first time in ages I've had such a short lived bout of this, a normal cold that I was able to fight off in the normal period of time all by myself ;)

I am very glad the eye doctor has ordered that CT scan. Do you have some significant hearing loss too? My MIL was treated very similarly to you for hearing loss that was documented (steroids 20mg a day for 2 weeks) and then was actually going to have a tube put in her ear to drain fluid, and during that surgery they realized she had a cyst like growth in her ear instead. A CT scan would have identified it had they ordered it before that surgery. This cyst/growth can cause symptoms similar to yours, but I'm sure there are many other possibilities as well.

If your ENT does not come up with some more suggestions soon, then you may want to get a second opinion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts