The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am now officially diagnosed with SLE, rather than UCTD. It seems I tested positive for anti-dsDNA back in January, and my very cautious rheumy finally said "lupus" today.

I showed her photos of the recurring rash I have been getting on my legs, and she decided Plaq alone isn't keeping the disease under control. I will be starting methotrexate in a couple of weeks. She wants me to start Lyrica and folic acid first. A week later I am to start my new anti-inflammatory, since Mobic no longer seems to be working. Then a week later I start the MTX.

I think I will be rattling when I walk! All in all, it was a great visit with the rheumy. I was actually impressed...and have been on the fence about her for more than a year.

Terri

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Well Terri....its been a long road :)

I dont know whether to say congratulations or commiserations! But you know what I mean....

The very best of luck with the new med regime and I hope that it improves things tremendously for you. Somehow or other I always did feel you were lupie.... :)

Hugs and take good care
Catch you soon
Joan:rose:

·
11,410 Posts
Terri,
It has been such a long road for you.
Congrats are your diagnose.:wink2:

I hope the new meds do wonders for you.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
im glad you now have a dx at least now you cn be treated properly

take care
Lin xx

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi Terri,
It must be a relief to finally have a diagnosis.I am a bit ignorant though and I was just wondering why the rheumy prescribed folic acid?do people with SLE lack that?
Julsie

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Terri,

I'm so glad to hear that the appointment went well. Obviously, I'm sure you have mixed feelings about finally getting that dx. I know I did even though I'd been expecting it and I sometimes think it hits me more now than it did a year ago.

I too have a "cautious" rheumy but when it comes to treatment she takes me seriously and tries to adapt treatment as much as she can.

so, congratulations - if one can say that :hehe:

Katharine

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Julsie,

The folic acid is for people taking methotrexate.

Katharine

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement! It took two rheumies and nearly two years to get the diagnosis.

Joan, I'm going to take your comment about knowing I am lupie as a compliment! :rotfl:

I've known in my heart for nearly a year that it was lupus, but the rheumy didn't want to put that name to it without more lab evidence. The ds-DNA sealed it, of course.

I'm a bit nervous about the MTX, but feel better after reading posts about it on the forum.

Terri

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Hi Terri

I am glad that your appointment went well. I am also glad that you took those pictures !!!

I hope that the metho starts to help you feel better and that you notice an improvement on things.

It is a relief I am sure to finally know and some comfort that you can get proper treatment now.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Terri, I am glad that at last you have a final diagnosis, at least that can put your mind at ease. You can deal with something if you know what it is that your dealing with. If there is anything that we can do to be of help to you, just ask, we are all here for you.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
yeah finally a diagnosis

Dear Terri

I am in some way so happy you finally got a diagnoses f lupus so that you can start the meds that will hep you to feel better and soon hopfully to:) It does help when you have a good rhueme also for sure.I sure hope the new meds do help you to feel better.:) Sure will be glad when they can find a way to get a quick diagnoses for everyones sake.Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Tammy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts