The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have lupus when your pregnant is it something you can give to you child? I ask because my 3 year old seems to have the same reaction to the sun, is it something else? Can a child that young even have Lupus?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Yes, children can have Lupus but it isn't very likely.
All children need good sun protection as I'm sure you know. If I were you I would watch and note symptoms without letting the child pick up on your anxieties. Maybe get a diary over the next month and then decide if it warrants further investigation. Obviously, you will not want to subject a three year old to blood tests etc. unless it seems necessary. Meanwhile try not to worry too much.
x Lola

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

It always helps the more you know! I think the watching and waiting approach is best, and it's reassureing to me that hers seems to itch, and mine don't, and from I know so far ussually the sun related rash isn't itching or painful, is that generally true?

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello there,

Lupus isn't something that you can "give" to your child in the sense that, if you are pregnant at the time, they can't "catch" it. Lupus isn't caught at all.

Some young children do have lupus but it is very very rare (thankfully).

There is a hereditary element to lupus in that you have a slightly higher chance of developing lupus (5% of lupus patients children +/-) if you have a parent with lupus but that usually happens when that child is a lot older, even an adult.

It is also even more unlikely in boys. Some children are just very sun sensitive young. I remember my son was until he was about 4. Now he tans relatively easily though I'm still very careful about sun exposure as I know how harmful it can be.

I think we always have to be careful with our children but need to avoid being over anxious and there is far more chance that a child of a lupus parent won't have lupus than he/she will.

Katharine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much

Thats so good to know!!! My biggest worry throughtout this whole mystery disease that has taken over my life the past 4 years, is that it is something I could give to her. They've talked Lyme disease, to genic connective tissue to autoimmune! For her sake I think autoimmune is the better way to go, thanks for everyones help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts