TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys
was at kidney clinic today kidneys are of again nearly had a panic attack cos reg doc said i prob need to take steriods but then my doc came in and said he putting me on rituxamb.anything but steriods i couldnt handle them they ruin my life.hopr this drug works i wonder why they didnt give it to me before cos i have had cyclophosimide.i also asked him about plaqenil but he said that was only used for skin and joints but i seen medical reports that it is good for kidneys but how do you argue with a doctor.suppose i should be happy cos i get these drugs for free,cos reading other peoples threads they need to pay.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Helen

Im sorry to hear you are having kidney problems again. It must be such a worry for you. Rituximab is usually reserved for when other treatments dont seem to be effective anymore.

Im still very surprised that you arent on Plaquenil anyway as a base line drug. Actually Im shocked to be honest. Plaquenil is like the 'insurance policy' of Lupus medications because it helps to slow down the disease progression wherever it affects us.

Having said that, you wouldnt be put on Plaquenil just to specifically treat Nephritis because you do need a stronger drug at this stage. Plaquenil can help protect the kidneys but if the damage is done then you need something much stronger than that.

Its hard to argue with doctors because they do get the final say. I hope the rituximab works for you and gets your disease under control :hugbetter: Let us know when you start treatment and how you are getting on.

Much love
Joan:rose:

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Helen,

I hope the Rituxan helps with your kidney problem. It has been beneficial for me, but I do not have Nephritis. The nice thing about Rituxan is most people suffer fewer side effects than some of the other medications. Good luck.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts