TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody help with this 'little' problem?

I have been taking cocodaol and voltarol for pain. They have never been great on my stomach - especially the volterol.

The volterol are now making me vomit - used to just cause stomach pain, etc. Cocodamol are almost useless on their own. I am flaring and not taking pain killers because the side effects are worse than the symptoms and anyway they come back up making me feel worse.

I am deeply unhappy and uncomfortable. Seeing GP tomorrow in the hope of a successful analgesia review. All my big joints hurt and the muscles of my elbows / back / shoulders. My stomach is constantly 'bubbly'.

I feel i do need anti-inflammatories, plus something to take on an ad hoc basis. i may be wrong. i have not required / been offered steroids to date. I am prescribed omeprazole. I have tried Brufen in the past, but noticed no effect what ever except for stomach problems.

Has anybody found a useful pain killer / pain killer combination with few side-effects or is this just the price you have to pay for a little respite?:sad:

·
11,405 Posts
(((Alwin))))

I am sorry to read that you are in so much pain.:( Then on top of it all the pain med is making you sick.:hug:

I take lortab 10/500 for pain. I am also on a nsaid too. I have been given a short burst of pred to get everything calmed down some. I was on a low dose for 3 months the beginning of this year. My rhuemy said that was to get me over the flare I was having.

There are a lot of different pain meds out there.
My GP said if you are in pain, you are not sleeping well, that makes the pain all the more. I hope your GP helps you tomorrow. Please let us know how it went for you.

Love,
Lyn

·
The vortex of insanity!
154 Posts
Short bursts of prednisone can be helpful. I used to take tramadol, which I found good on my back, but my mom hid it from me. Which is wonderful.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey Alwin

Sorry your feeling so bad at the moment, really not sure what to suggest. I went to the Dr as pain is keeping me awake at night and I could not get comfortable. Co-codamol is great but wares off after 3 - 4 hours. She has started me on Amitriptyline and I have only been on 10mg for a week but feel I will need to up it to 20mg. They use it in the pain clinics for chronic pain conditions (apparently). I have tried Tramadol, they are excellent for pain relief but gave me a 3 day headache which resolved when I stopped taking them.

I don't NSAID because they upset my stomach too so I avoid them like the plague! Ibuprofen on their own don't really do anything for me unless I take them with paracetamol and even sometimes that isn't enough.

I think you need to have a good long chat with your GP or rheumy and see what is on offer, it may be you might need a short burst of preds if you are flaring.

Take care of yourself and I hope you are feeling more comfortable soon.

Hugs :hug:

Claire xx

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your replies. It means a lot.

Doctor has stopped the Volterol and prescribed Amitriptyline. He has left Cocodamol on the prescription.

I am quite hopeful because, as you say Claire, much of the problem is being kept awake at night which makes things seem worse. I seem to remember having them once before and getting a better night's sleep, but cannot remember why I stopped them.

He also suggested physiotherapy and asked me if i had ever seen a rheumatologist :huh: I declined the physiotherapy becasue i am not sure which bit they would work on in the 20 minutes they seem to have.

Bless him. I have never seen him before in my life and i don't suppose there is time to read people's notes before they arrive. Anyway, after a brief chat, I recommended my yoga teacher instead of a physio (who i have not been able to afford to see for months) and he plans to book himself in for a session. :shrug:

Yours

Perplexed, bewildered, but hopeful, of Lancashire.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Alwin, cant the GP book you in for a session with the Yoga on NHS, surley it must be cheaper than the physio!!:wink2::lol:

Let us know how the Ami works for you!

Always remember that although you think the physio may not help (it didnt with me) its a backdoor way into the Chronic Pain Clinic (I'm just waiting for my appoitment), my hospital physio refused to treat me with Lupus incase she made me worse!

Take care!

Lesley:hehe:

PS - as I understand it you can use Ibruphen alongside and paracetamol based drug (I think Voletrol is paracetamol based plys codene).

·
Inky
249 Posts
Alwin

I had the same problem with voltarol and cocodamol. Stomach upsests and not enough pain relief. I then got changed to 2 x 400mg paracetamol with at the same time 2 x 30mg dihydrocodeine taartrate, four times a day. More powerful relief than cocodomol as higher level and slightly different chemical make up to the codeine. No upset stomach. It is mostly effective unless I am in a flare when I definitely find best pain relief is from prednisilone. An option might be be a NSAID - the one that was gentlest for me was LODINE (Etodolacc).

The other thing that really helps is Mindfulness based pain management - a mix of meditation/relaxation, very gentle yoga and learning to pace and manage pain episodes. I went on a course. If you want the web link for this let me know. It is not desperately expensive and there are concessions - I got a low wage reduction price. I am going back again as the habits and training sort of slipped in my recent flare.

Some NHS regions do pain management courses too.

Hope this helps
Sara
x

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello everybody

Thanks for advice Sara - I do find yoga helpful and should make the money to continue to go. I got busy and short of cash and stopped going. Combined with swimming it helped reduce muscular problems and so reduced pain considerably. Unfortunately I have had dihydrocodeine in the past and it me vomit within minutes. I have a warning on my notes telling doctors not to prescribe it for me.

Lesley - I do not know if I can get yoga on the NHS, but since my 'doctor on the day' said he was going to book himself in for a session, there might be hope. I intend to telephone the surgery and ask.

I had an appointment at the pain clinic over a year ago. The nurse running the clinic put me through a range of movements, wrote some stuff down, then discharged me. I had no pain that day. She recommended swimming though.

Anyway, keeping everything well wrapped up and warm and trying to balance rest with work to reduce risks of making self worse. Had a far better day today so far.

Thank you for your support and advice.

:love:

·
Registered
549 Posts
hi

had the same problem every thing upsets me in the end they put me on
ranitidine which lines the stomach and helps then i take my lodine
so far it has helped ecept when pain gets reallly bad then i have to top up
anyway just a thought might help best wishies tink

·
Inky
249 Posts
Hi Alwin

I had to give up yoga because of cash problems and just try to do some gentle exercises when I am at home.

I know that our Manchester Buddhist Centre does concessions for pain/stress management programs which include a yoga based "mindfulness movement" program designed for people with aches and pains in mind. I am booking back on one for October. (I did it in 2003 and it was wonderful) They do run, I think, in about 10 other locations in the UK as well. And they were planning to do distance learning. Although they are Buddhist teachers they do not run the course as a buddhist course at all, in fact are careful not to. http://breathworks-mindfulness.org.uk/

going on the course got me from unemployment to working part time at home. I am still pretty skint but nothing like as bad, or as glum, as I was before.

they also sell CD's of the meditations and relaxation exercises .

It certainly sounds better than your NHS pain management experience.

Sara
x

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Alwin,
My doc has me on Methadone which is working fairly well. But I have found the most relief with the combination of Methadone and acupuncture. It has helped tremendously with the Migraines and back aches. Take care
Michelle

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you again for replies.

Michelle, when you have acupuncture, which parts of your body does the practitioner put the needles in?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have not taken anything yet that helps with pain. All the over-the-counters did nothing. Prednisone - nope. Oxycodone - nothing but a bit of drowsiness. Even was given morphine while in the hospital with hepatitis and it didn't help at all. I know there is a lot more out there, just haven't found what will work for me yet.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Alwin,

I'm taking Darvocet with either Mobic or Relafen. I find switching off really helps. I also take Lunesta to sleep. Having 7 hours sleep at night seems to have reduced some of the pain too.

I've also started physical therapy. That also has helped, but unfortunately my insurance will only support a limited number of sessions.

I hope you find a combination of drugs that works soon. The constant pain is a nightmare.

take care,

Susan

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
When money is an issue you can use some of the tips online, tv exercise shows, videos or walk. In the US check with your senior center. Mine offers a range of classes for free for anyone 50 and above. The Arthritis Organization has many things listed on their site http://www.arthritis.org/fitness.php. Just remember to not push yourself to the limit. Doing less is doing more if you continue to exercise.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi Alwin,
As to your question about exercise on the National Health. I have just got a prescription for it from my GP. I will have to pay 2 prescription charges to start and then a small fee for each session. I will get a Personal Training Assessment and then they will decide which sort of exercise will be of benefit to me. They will show me what to do and then monitor my progress over some weeks.
Ive not started yet so will have to let you know how it goes.
Hope you get some pain relief soon.
Luv Sal x

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for your kind replies.

I am sorry so many people seem to be in the same boat.

I spent most of Fri, Sat, Sun resting and sleeping in because my arms and shoulders are painful, but realise I am lucky in that I can choose when I work. I did need to do A little less for a while.

Then work partner called last night, however, and said customer is cross that job is not finished, so ready to set off to work this morning. At least it is not raining. I really did not fancy slipping about in the rain another day. We are only behind becasue of the weather - it just rains and rains.

Perhaps the 'autmnal sunshine' I can see out there this morning will help cheer me up a bit. Finishing this d**n garden would certainly make my month right now.

I am not noticing any effects from this 10mg amitriptyline at night malarky, but continue to do as I am told. I am sure some painkillers would help and feel a bit like I've been treated with a bit of 'well, if the Voterol is no good I'll stop it and give you nothing instead' :lol:

Just a little bitter right now.

I did get on the fitness for life programme and when i was not doing physical work for a living it was very helpful becasue it reduces stiffness when you exercise, but I do not have the energy after work right now - just go home and sleep.

Right arm feels like it is bursting at the bicep and have heavy feeling with pins and needles to forearm and thumb, first finger. Think it is some kind of nerve damage. Everything else just seem sto be taking turns to hurt. It is no fun getting rained on when you ache.

Oh well - back to the grindstone. Tempted to set this customer off digging in a muddy puddle whilst i throw buckets of water on 'em every 5 minutes. Not good, not good .... positive thoughts!

Take care all.

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Alwin,

You should mention the bicep pain along with the tingling and numbness to your doctor. On occasion I have had something similar each time with a different diagnosis. It has varied from a pinched nerve in the neck, spastic muscle and carpul tunnel. Heat usually works well for me.

Hope you feel better soon,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will do Lazylegs.

I had forgotten about heat - will hunt down hotty botty.

Thank you for your kindness again.

Take care.

x

1 - 20 of 32 Posts