Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My brother says his joint pain is much worse if he doesn't watch his salt intake,I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that?thanks,
Julsie

·
Registered
521 Posts
Julsie,

Doctors have said that shell fish can cause more joint pain. Crabs, lobsters etc.. contain more salt than other fish. So that may hold true.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi Julsie,
I am so glad you started this thread because I was going to ask the same question.
My grandma had RA and said that salt made her joint pain worse. Lately, it seems like I am very sensitive to salt as to joint pain and bloating. I love lowfat cottage cheese sand it seems to really bother me. I was told not to exceed your salt intake over 2,000mg. I don't come anywhere near that and still have problems. I don't have a solution. I do have a +RF and whether or not if that has something to do with it-I have not a clue????
I think that is interesting about shellfish-I can't eat shellfish either.:hehe:
I think our diet is very huge in our health.
I have heard not to drink diet soda. I try to not drink soda, but sometimes I get burnt out on water. I bought "Naked Juices" to curb the soda craving-so far so good:) Now I just need advice on how to lose the coffee craving and my cottage cheese craving.
Thanks Julsie for this great thread!!! I don't know how much help I was:lol:

Hugs,
Becca

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Julsie, I bloat so with my meds that I eat as much low sodium foods as I can
find, and I used to be a real salt-a-holic, but now I almost never use the salt,
and my joints still hurt just as bad as they used to, I have had no change in
the way that I feel. Boy, I sure wish that your brother was right. Anyway, be well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi, I eat loads of salt, really crave it most of the time! cant say ive found a link between salt & joint pain though, My docs are at a loss as to why i crave salt constantly, My GP thinks that maybe its my bodies way of helping me keep my blood pressure up!?
take care x x

·
Registered
359 Posts
yes, I love popcorn but stay away from it. I was fine with salt until this year then all of a sudden it started bothering my ankles and knees the day after I ate it. I was blaming it on water retention from the salt increasing the pressure on my joints but I don't know if my thinking was correct

Sherry

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
My beliefs are the same as Sherry's; I also tend to think that is why my joint pain is worse premenstrually because I can retain more water during those days as well which increases the joint pain too.

I don't restrict my salt really, just eat to taste. But on those rare occasions where I order french fries (& for some reason they always seem to be way oversalted) I can really notice it the next day in my joints too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Julsie,

I definitely notice a difference in joint pain if I eat salt. I didn't use to have a problem with salt until I started my different lupus meds. They really seem to make me retain water easily. So, if I eat chips (my favorite food) or anything really salty, my joints feel worse the next day - especially my hands, feet and knees. I just assumed that it was because salt can cause you to retain water which seems to make my joints worse. I really have to watch my diet now but some days, you just have to have that "comfort food!" :)

Take care
Carol

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the replies,it's very interesting to see that other people have problems with salt intake,
Julsie

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ohh Goodness! And I love Salt

Hi Julsie! pleasure to meet you and I am a newbie here! I am a salt a holic! Sweet a Holic too! But crave salt. And I keep joint pain! So I think I will watch this and see what happens here. Thanks for mentioning this. It might be one of my problems also and I just never realized it! Very good topic! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.