TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy easter everyone:)

I am in need of some advice please.
Yesterday morning I woke up with a pain in my left buttock which travels down my leg. The pain has gradually got worse and today I am in agony. My mum thinks it sounds like sciatica as she suffers from it too, but I have never had it before. The thing is I have a fun week planned with the kids and I really don't want to let them down. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain? (other than pain killers as I am already on the max dose)

hope you are all doing well and are having a relaxing easter break.

Elle x

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Ouch, it sure sounds like sciatica to me. The only cure is rest (as in laying in bed rest if it gets worse). The severity can be guaged by how far it travels down your leg. Mine often reached my foot :( Pain meds should help some. With rest mine usually subsided but if you get numbness or incontinence it's quite urgent that you see a doc to avoid permanent nerve compression damage.

Hope you feel better soon. Sometimes mine only lasted a couple of days, I hope you have a similar experience.

love
Lily

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi Elle have you ever had bursitis as that can also give you the kind of pain that you are haveing.If not then get the doctor to give you the once over.Hope you feel better soon.Elisabeth

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I agree with Lily. There really is not much you can do for it. Rest is the best thing. I had this while pregnant with my son and it was so painful.

I hope things calm down for you and if not place a call to your doctor.:wink2:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies,
wow it was painful this morning. I have been resting all day and it's starting to ease now, but I am going to take it easy for a while I think. My doc is away till wednesday but i'm going to nip in for a check up just in case.

hugs
Elle x

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Elle sounds painful, but Lily is so right you can only rest keep still, any movement sends it of bless u

take care Lin xx

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Good idea to get it checked Elle, especially if it's hanging around. You know what Lupus is like, mimicking everything.

I hope it's gone soon though.

love
Lily

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Elle

When I had sciatica I found that ice applied to the lower back was very helpful at reducing pain. Further, your GP may prescribe a weeks course of valium to reduce muscle spasms in your buttock which is helpful.

A medically endorsed solution when the pain gets unbearable is vodka - yes honestly - to drink, not to apply. When diagnosing my sciatica - the doctor asked whether there was anything that relieved my pain. When I told him, rather guiltily, that, apart from cool baths, the only thing that helped, and helped exceptionally well, was vodka, he confirmed that this was a clear indicator of nerve pain and hence sciatica!

Hope you feel better soon!

Take care

Merle

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi there

My experience of sciata (years of it!) has generally taught me that it's best to try and work out what is misaligned and try to tackle that. I've had so much physio totry and help it. It turns out one side of my pelvis sometimes gets higher than the other. One exercise she taught me was to go up on one toe (the bad side) and then come down boom on that heel. For some reason this helps. I now also wear insoles.
Otherwise, one exercise that sometimes helps is to lie on your back and then let your (bent) knees fall to one side together. Also to lie on your back and let both (bent) knees fall outwards. Sometimes just avoiding some positions helps: I know that if I lie flat on my back, I will not be able to get up again because I'll be stuck!

I do do sympathise as it's horrible and you feel so stuck, esp with small children to look after. I really hope you get help and I recommend seeing a physio and in the longer term doing pilates classes to keep all your muscles and bones in shape!

x Hatty

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Hi Elle,

Doing some easy hamstring stretches have helped me when I have had problems. I sit with one foot on the floor and raise the other leg straight out. Tilt your toes back towards you then release. You can find other ways to do it online. If stretching, heat and cold packs don't help you may need to get some muscle relaxers.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I really do sympathise with you, this pain is one of the worst pains that I have endured and there are many with Lupus. In the end I had to have an epidural to help with the pain. Lets hope you get some pain relief shortly and you are able to enjoy the last few days of Easter with your children.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Now this may sound really silly but...................:blush:

I had really bad sciatica during a pregnancy and didn't know where to put myself. Pain killers no help.I was told by a healer (reiki master) to apply a magnet.
I put one of those flexible fridge magnets in my back trouser pocket so that it lay over the pain. Now I am a very sceptical person, but it really did seem to ease the pain.
I know there is some science that connects magnetism and healing but even so I know this sounds far fetched. Worth a try though;)

Best get it checked out though first.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey,
Well i'm having to wait for an appointment with the doc, he's been on holiday and now everyone wants to see him :rolleyes:.
The pain is so much better now though (thank god) Heat seems to have been the best thing for it. Although I am very tempted to try the magnet theory, just to see :)
I haven't managed to take the kids out for the day but we've had a good time anyway:).

Thank you
Elle x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts