The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone successfully been able to commute on a regular basis with a scooter or motorcycle? Several months ago I bought a lil Honda Metropolitan and was having the time of my life (not to mention using only 5 gals of gas a month).

Then summer/late spring hit and my lupus went into overdrive. I havent had an attack this bad in many, many years. Not since I moved from Miami, Fl. It took me a while to admit I was getting too much sun cause I really didnt want to give up the scooter. But I did. I sold it.

Anyone have any experience with sun protection when you are on a bike/scooter/motorcycle regularly? I know I am grasping at straws here LOL. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
So sorry you had to give up your two-wheeler. Riding is one of the joys of my life and I can actually ride sometimes when I can barely walk. I have a V-Star Custom cruiser so my legs are well out in front. I am actually able to get on and off painlessly now whereas a couple of years ago I was ready to sell the bike and/or shoot myself.
I use 70 sunblock, applied liberally. I am hyper-sensitive to the sun now so wear a fullface helmet most of the time. Even walking on a cloudy day (we do have a few here in Alberta, rare though they be:)) required gloves, hat, long sleeves and 70 sunblock.
Pax,
Douglas+

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I love motorcycles too but sold mine before lupus started... but I loved that feeling of riding it (& saving so much gas and parking money at university!)

I think a full helmet would be a must, and long sleeves/pants which you should always wear anyways while riding motorcycles, and applying high factor sunscreen at least 15 minutes before you leave on scooter would be necessary. You could also wear the clothing that is sun protective as well... or wash your clothes in sun protective factor "detergent".

The hard part nowadays for me would be the throttle, the clutch, and shifting gears. Given that the hands/wrists and my feet/legs below the knees are my worst affected joints. Maybe someday... :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Wow! :) So cool that there are some other motorcyclists and scooter riders on here :)

I haven't ridden my bike (CBR 600 Sport) since I was diagnosed :( But am feeling a bit better now and was only today thinking about taking it out later this week :)

Fly girl, I would have thought that if you wear the motorcycle gear (helmet, jacket etc) the sun shouldn't effect you too much... if at all? But I'm no expert at this so would wait for someone who knows more to come along and confirm.

Douglas, did your sun sensitivity increase over the years? Or had you always been very sensitive? PS my next bike is going to be a cruiser :)

Fly girl, please keep us updated how you get along ridiing once you've covered up... and put on a lashing of sunblock. Good luck

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy Surferboy,
I think I always wa shy of the sun for the most part. I wore sunglasse long before it was "cool" to do so but this hypersensitivity just hit one day "out of the blue", if you will forgive the expression.
A cruiser is a must for me as with my right hip (arthritis, they say) I can't even sit on a sport bike or UJM but do fine on the V-Star.
Happy riding!:)
Douglas+

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello fellow bikers!
I find that riding my 400cc sports bike is by far the best way of getting out and about when the sun is shining without the fear of getting sunburnt because I would never venture out wearing anything less than full-face helmet, leather jacket & trousers and sturdy bike boots...but then I have experienced high speed contact with tarmac (oops!) so I fully appreciate the importance of being well protected...sweaty, but well protected!

I suffer with pains in my wrists, particularly the left but when it gets too sore I use clutchless gear changes. And anyway, the immense feeling of freedom far outweighs the pain most of the time!
Freya

·
Registered
61 Posts
I love riding on the back of my husbands motorcycle. It's a Harley Streetglide. We rode from Calif to Colorado last year. I have to go on prednisone for long trips, and try not to ride too much in the heat of the day. I also wear a full faced helmet and leathers.
Safe riding everyone!!!!:) Kate

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
my advise is that it is something that you really love, then it is worth finding a way to do it.

I LOVE walking my dogs, so that is something I will ALWAYS prioritise finding a way of doing it. But frankly I couldn't care less whether I drive a car or a scooter, so that is not something I am going to be working on finding a way of doing.

If you love it, it's worth fighting for, and that is all that matters.

Ever noticed how much more it hurts vaccuming the living room than doing something equally energetic that you really love doing ?

have fun on that scooter

raglet

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I'm with Raglet. If you love something, sacrifice something else to do what you love. If you can. I would love to ride a scooter, or even my bicycle. But my balance is not dependable and it's just not sane to ride something t wo wheeled knowing that my head could suddenly go swooshy. (yes, that is a technical term and I'd be glad to give a technical definition upon request. :rotfl::lol:)

Full face helmet, strongest sunblock out there, long sleeves, long pants, boots, gloves ..... ought to just about do it. Don't give up. There's almost always a way.

Sunny

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

I wish it were only a matter of dealing with the pain, but alas being out in the sun even with almost full gear was triggering sever episodes. I have heart failure due to lupus complications so I have to be really careful.

One of the nicest things about the modern scooters are they automatic so no clutching. Also getting on and off is a breeze, no leg hiking. LOL

I am still entertaining the idea, havent given up totally. But over heatin is also an issue with heart patients. Sooooo.

If only I were back on San Francisco. I think I could better handle it in a milder climate.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy again, FlyGirl,
I have already given my wife notice that if/when I can no longer throw my leg over the V-Star (somedays a *literal* description that!), I will be looking for a super scooter such as the Suzuki Bergman 650 or the Honda Silverwing. It is embarassing to note that the Bergman will out accelerate my cruiser!:lol:
Safe riding!
Douglas+

1 - 11 of 11 Posts