The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden last night my pc started a very horrid flickering stunt, on and off but mostly on. Does anybody have an idea what could be causing it and how to stop it. My cordless mouse is battery powered but doesn't usually cause this effect when the batteries need replacing. The weather's very close and I feel thunder in the air. All the connections look sound and haven't been touched recently. All other domestic apparatus is fine. There are no other PC problems Apart from installing a photoshop update yesterday evening nothing has been altered.
If you know how to stop it please explain in terms that a highly intelligent chimpanzee might understand

Thanks for any help - of course it has stopped as I post this :hehe:

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi Clare

Isn't that always the way! It probably won't happen again now :wink2: well hopefully anyway :fingers:

I'm sorry I haven't a clue what it could be, never happened to me..maybe try a plug in mouse just in case it's a fault on your cordless mouse?

sorry I can't help, hope you get some answers!
love karen x

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
It sounds like stress. Find a soft fluffy blanket and stroke gently....

(well it works for me:p)

X C X

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, maybe my eyesight :rotfl:
I did have a terrible night last night.

Thanks Karen for reading and caring enough to reply
Hehe
Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you believe it, it's just started again as soon as I posted ! The TV and everything looks looks OK. Could it be a visual allergy to the forum ?
Oh dear.
:rotfl:

Clare

·
Registered
1 Posts
comps!

Thats just typical of computers these days, although for me they are a god send, as you all will know not being able to sit at a comp for a while is very trying, so i have now got a laptop, as my condition only lets me sit on the sofa or bed and tap!
Hope that we can talk sometime
Debbi

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Aw you're very welcome clare :hug:
It seems to me that it's only happy when you are posting :lol: so the answer is to just continually post, problem solved :hehe::hehe:

good luck, bye for now clare
love karen x

·
Registered
391 Posts
Clare -

Dare I ask how old the monitor is? We had a similar problem just before the old monitor went kablooey.

I did like Cath's suggestion, though. :rotfl:

Terri

·
Registered
5,267 Posts

Hmmmm.. It could be several things. Sometimes just as something is interfering with your computer, like a fan or ac or some remote device. Shut things off in that room and see if anything happens. If not, you can try to click on properties, then settings tab, on the display properties window click advanced, click monitor, make sure your refresh rate is set at 60. It could also be your drivers and video card need updating. Have you done the automatic update on your computer for those? It also could be simple like a loose wire.

Try to play around with the screen when it does it and see if a certain way turns if off and on, flickers.

Let me know!

·
Registered
6,152 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi,

My husband said to check 2 things - is there a loose connection in the monitor?

The graphics card in the computer can also cause problems if there is a fault in it, and replacing it is possible (there are several types, but once you know which one it is they are available to buy seperately). He warns that a new card for an old computer might not be worth it as it could be more expensive than a new computer.

I'm just parroting him, I don't understand compuers....

X C X

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the useful suggestions- the refresh thingy was new to me and a good tip.
I don't know what the fate of your cat was Joan, but the monitor dropped dead later that day - just went completely blank. After about 1.5 hours lose- the- will -to- live type diagnostic conversation on a very poor line with a charming young woman in India with rather poor English, plus more grovelling around at floor level with a torch than is good for anybody's mental or physical health, we established it was indeed the monitor that had expired.

But guess what, it was not the day after the warranty expired ! So I got a new one delivered Monday for free. It was only 4 years old.

How did I live without a PC.

Hugs to all
Clare

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Great to know it was resolved Clare. I had suspected that it might have been in its dying throes. Great it was still under guarantee!!

You can still keep stroking that blanket though - we won't tell anyone!

Katharine

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Im afraid the fate of my cat was the same as your monitor Clare ;) He is long gone to that great cattery in the sky;)

Glad you are all sorted although it sounds like it was an adventure!

Love
Joan:rose:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts