The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of you have heard about switching to a vegetarian or vegan style diet may help with symptoms and has even been said to eliminate lupus all together. Well I was diagnosed about 7 years ago with lupus, and never really looked too much into the idea. about a year ago i tried being a vegetarian for about 1 month and go no result, so i quit. But 3 months ago i decided to give it another try and I've been doing it ever since. I have continued staying strong, eating much more fruits and vegetables, and have slowly noticed changes. I am less fatigued, swollen, and less sore. I have believe that having this type of diet can really change your health. It has not been easy changing my lifestyle, but it has been worth it. Does anyone else have any success with as a vegetarian or with any other special diet?

·
jmaca
203 Posts
Not actually for me. I'd already been vegetarian for 8 years when I was diagnosed with lupus. I eventually went back to eating meat, although I've never eaten very much of it.

I do think, though, that a good diet that includes lots of vegetables and fruit, and that cuts out completely or drastically reduces red meat is beneficial. And as I've said in another thread, cutting gluten way, way back was central to my feeling better.

But we're all different, so if that veggie diet is working for you, that's terrific!

·
Registered
28 Posts
HI,
Being diagnosed when I was 13 years old, I was actually told to avoid red meat. When I was in my mid teens I went vegetarian, no white or red meat or fish. I was going into a remission at that time but I did not even consider whether it was related to vegetarian, as I was doing it for animal ethics reasons. Remission continued for a few years.
A few years later I had a severe flare, nephritis and CNS Lupus, which I attribute to a hugely stressful job. :eek:
About another 10 years went by and I went vegan, for ethical reasons again. The only improvement I noticed was complete cessation of acid indigestion, which I had been taking medications for, and blood pressure now very good, even low sometimes.
I did stop all alcohol and cigarettes too, so it's hardly a scientific conclusion.
However I can say for certain as now I am in my 40's, and have been vegan over 8 years, I have no dietary deficiencies and no doctor has ever suggested my diet is unwise. I get protein from beans, nuts and pulses.
I don't really think being a vegetarian is going to stop anyone having Lupus or make anyone go into remission, but it can help with blood pressure and management of kidney problems (many people with kidney problems are advised to lower protein intake) and some digestive problems.
If anyone with health problems is considering a big change in their diet, they should always consult the doctor.:)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
No its not done anything for me, im so tired right now and hurting all over, with bad heads!! i became a vegie 2 yrs ago. but havin said all that im so happy its done wonder's for you

lin x

·
rockstar!
837 Posts
I think vegetarian diets can help some people and not do much for others. It certainly isn't a cure.

I was a vegetarian from the time I was 16 on (diagnosed officially at 23). I used to be a lacto-ovo vegetarian for about 9 years. I had symptoms start showing up slowly around a similar time, so even for the longest time my mom thought that my symptoms were DUE to my vegetarian diet. Haha. This year, I have started to "need" something else -- I felt awfully tired and just felt like it was diet related, even though I've never previously had issues with the veggie diet. I brought it up with my rheumatologist and said I had been considering trying fish again...I felt like I was getting cravings. He encouraged me to eat and enjoy basically ANY seafood because they are packed with great nutrients and have anti-inflammatory qualities. He discouraged me from venturing outside the seafood realm (beef, chicken, pork, etc.) because he said all other types of meat have inflammatory qualities. He said I might not notice anything from them, but when you've got on-going issues with inflammation...it helps some people to try and avoid things that could aggravate that.

I've been getting more cravings for red meat this year, but I don't test anemic or anything like that so I continue to avoid it. I do eat fish on occasion (probably only once or twice a month at the most). I mostly can tell when I "need" to add some fish to my diet...then I'll eat it and not "need" it for several weeks again. Outside of that, I continue to have a primarily vegetarian diet.

I think one of the things people have to remember is that vegetarian diets can be really easy to screw up. I know a lot of vegetarians who basically don't eat a ton of vegetables/fruits, but eat a TON of carbohydrates like pasta or crackers. Obviously I eat pasta and crackers too, but I eat a lot of fresh vegetables, eggs, nuts, beans, and dairy. I do struggle with getting enough calories all the time and I have sometimes considered adding meat just so I could bump up my caloric content....but again, both my rheumy and nutritionist discouraged me from adding anything except fish, so I continue to follow their suggestions for the time being!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was vegetarian for about 15 years and I feel it helped considerably. The Nephritis issue was addressed, I lost weight (which was a good thing) and felt not only better physically, but from the aspect of animal treatment.

We do occasionally eat fish and some chicken (rarely) and on an even more rare occasion have a Buffalo Burger. I still limit animal protein as much as possible, preferring to actually consume legumes etc.

My Rheumatologist also suggested a diet with absolutely no animal content. I haven't tried it yet, but am so close to it already.

Hopefully, being vegetarian will work for you. We do what we can in any way possible to help.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Im not a vegetarian as I do like red meat, however I do find that if I eat mince meat I get a flare up perhaps its the fat in it because I like lean meat in things like steak, stews and so on. I have notice that certain things make me flare up like cheese and tomatoes. I would have had a lot of those during the week though.

Like everyone has said what affects me many not affect others. Like someone said above a balanced diet is best and I agree because when I go through a face of eating take aways, I get really ill and flare ups get worse.

Eve

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been vegetarian for about 2 years, but am back to seafood for the same reasons (anti-inflammatory). I have been going back and forth on trying to go vegan (or maybe "sorta" vegan with fish on the side!) :), as I heard that this was even better for joint pain...and I have actually noticed that I feel more fatigued and even sometimes flu-like when I eat dairy. Has anyone else noticed anything similar? Anyone tried veganism?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy veggie222,
My being a more-or-less vegtarian began with what is now seen to likely be a symptom of autoimmune disease! I had the rather disgusting discovery that I was no longer able to digest meat so cut out the little bit of beef I ate. Soon thereafter I became incapable of eating poultry, fatty fish, lobster, clams and so on. Now I am limited to grains, vegetables, dairy products and a little bit of whitefish. Protein bars and vitamin pills are a big help. Fruit is totally out since I go anaphilactic from fruit.:(
Needless to say, my "sort of" vegetarianism has not helped the SLE - unless I would be a lot worse if I could eat like normal folks!:lol:
I hope you continue to improve!
Douglas+

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.