The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I just joined this forum and hope you do not mind if I ask a few questions about some issues I am having. I have done some reading about lupus on-line but don't really know if I fit the profile for this illness.

My main issue is that I am extremely sensitive to the sun and have been this way since I was about 22 years old (I am now 35).

Basically, I cannot go outside for more than 2-3 minutes without getting burned on my face and breaking into hives or a rash on the rest of my body, including my stomach, chest, and back...even though they are all covered by clothing.

I am always fully covered when leaving the home, so it is very hard for me to understand why I get this rash on parts of my body that are covered and not exposed to the sun.

My latest episode occurred just last week when I went out to check something on the roof for about 5 minutes.

Do people with lupus experience this phenomenon, and what other conditions (besides lupus) might cause extreme sensitivity to the sun?

In addition to the sun issue, I have frequent pain in the chest and also had a kidney infection last year that cleared up...but I still have pain in that area.

These are really the only symptoms of lupus I think I am exhibiting. I do not have all the fatigue and joint pain I read is associated with this illness. I do feel very tired at times, but not to the point that it is debilitating.

Should I get checked out for lupus? And what other conditions might I look into?

Insights are very much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hello Jordinia and welcome to the board.

First and most important is that you know your body best and if you feel unwell or as if something is just not right then most certainly you should make a doctors appointment. I would suggest you start with your GP, let him do some blood work and then go from there.

I was on a lot of medicine from an injury I sustained on the job back in July 2003 so I actually thought the medicine was causing this but low and behold after the meds the madness continued and I had my answer, well sort of.

Lupus is a great imitator of many things. I personally do not get rashes from the sun if I am covered up with clothing but that does not mean others don't. Please make a GP appointment and move ahead for some answers. It is in your best interest especially if your not feeling up to par.

I wish you luck and think you will like it here. The people are great, support is awesome and the knowledge some people have is just amazing. Join us in the chat room sometime.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Welcome to the site Jordania.

Kidney infections are found in the general public also. Kidney involvement in Lupus usually does not exhibit pain until much later on. I suggest you check with your doctor to make sure your infection is totally clear or if you have inflammation in the area.

Any time you have chest pain you should have it investigated. Chest pains can be caused by anything from GERD to Heart Attack. Depending on the diagnosis you may be able to get relief from the pain.

It sounds like you are extremely sun sensitive. It might be worth seeing dermatologist when you have a rash. The next time you have one I suggest taking a photo. Sometimes rashes do not exhibit themselves in their full glory on appointment day.

Overall from the information you have given it doesn't look like you have enough of the criteria at this point to be diagnosed with Lupus http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33123. If you go to the doctor for any of the other symptoms it wouldn't hurt to have the doctor run an ANA test though.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hello and welcome :)

I agree that without the extreme fatigue and any joint pain that it's very unlikely you have Lupus. However there are other conditions which are best investigated by a Dermatologist that present with such extreme sun sensitivity. They should be able to sort it out.

Take care,
Lily

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Welcome Jordania

There are lots of reasons for chest pains so that in itself needs investigating. Kidney pain is not usual with nephritis so continuing pain most likely has some other cause.
There are some rare forms of lupus related skin problems that present as blisters often after sun exposure and on occasion chronic hives turns out to be one of the first signs of lupus.
I don't think there's enough going on to merit thinking of lupus but you could always ask your physician to throw an ANA test into the mix of tests that might be done as part of a general health review. A urine test could throw some light onto persisting kidney and UTI problems.

There are a number of causes for photosensitivity, ranging from medications to a true allergy, and hives which can occur even when the skin has been covered as heat alone can provoke them.

See

http://dermnetnz.org/reactions/photosensitivity.html

http://dermnetnz.org/reactions/urticaria.html

Good Luck with getting some relief and managing to stay cool and out of the sun.

Hugs
Clare

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.