TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have trouble with flourescent lights such as lights in shops etc? I have trouble with sun sensitivity esp when in car and sun is shining through windows. For last few months I have same trouble in shops, after a short time I feel sick, faint, weak and dizzy with a headache. I used to be able to shop till I droppped, now sometiimes I cant make it round the supermarket and halfway round have to abandon the shop.
From what I can read sensitivity to flourescent lights is rare, is that other peoples experience? I would welcome your thoughts and stories.

Deb:)

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

Quite a few people here do seem to have sensitivity to lights, especially florescant or "strip" lighting.

I have had that problem in shops for years now and often feel sick, dizzy and suddenly very hot. I don't get affected in the same way by economic bulbs and, in any case, place my eco bulbs so that they are not directly above my head.

I was very happy (and a little surprised) not to have suffered any ill effects from going to the photography fair in Paris recently. I have a feeling it may be due to my new glasses which go darker at the slightest sign of light and even though it was barely noticeable to anyone else, went slightly darker than "clear" while we there.

I think a lot of my sensitivity is through my eyes as well as skin (and of course the lights in a fair are very high - unlike in some shops). I find stores like IKEA some of the worst and also a shopping centre near here which is just generally terribly brightly lit.

I'm lucky to be less "severely" affected. The lights can bring on a rash after a while and they do bring on a sort of unusual exhaustion. The problem has improved generally since being on plaquenil but I still don't do any long shops at all so it's difficult to say (that's due to pretty severe neuropathic pain in my feet which comes on after about a half hour).

sorry, I rambled a bit there....

Katharine

·
Administrator
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply, it was really helpful. Funnily enough it was a particuarly bad reaction in ikea the other day that made me ask the question!!

I used to shop for pleasure and now plan outings like a military expedition!! I haven't really noticed any connection between the light and my rash, I shall look out for that. Its just this terrible feeling which has lead to me fainting on more than one occasion, which is so embarrassing!!

I was wondering if glasses might help the problem???

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi there

I too suffer badly under fluorescent or halogen lights. Those large DIY stores with very bright lights are impossible for me. I reckon I can manage no more than a few minutes before I feel just awful. I get very hot, sometimes feel sick and when I get out I am fit for nothing because of the pure exhaustion that comes over me. The water literally runs off the top of my head and my hair and face end up dripping wet.

Its actually quite amazing the way I can go from feeling quite fresh to a limp rag so quickly. Wearing sunscreen and dark glasses helps for a little while - what I mean is that I can get a bit more time before I feel just the same. Its rarely worth it to be honest and I only go to those kinds of shops if I absolutely have to. I also get a blush-like rash on my neck and chest if Im too long under these lights.

There are some shops and shopping centres that I never go into any more. I find some of the ALDI and LIDL stores are easier for me because they seem to have duller lighting and I last much longer in them.

Wherever I am in a shop I can tell within seconds if Im standing directly under a light - I believe I could do it blindfold! The top of my head feels like someone suddenly lit a fire on it!

Like you, I loved shopping before all this. Now its become a real chore and something I have to plan well in advance. There are days when I have to cancel my shopping plans because if Im feeling fatigued before I go in, I know I wont make it round the shop so there is no point in even starting.

I think wearing a hat would also help but Im just not a hat kind of person. They invariably look ridiculous on me!

Best of luck
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Deb,

I've had problems with shopping due to these effects of lighting - I cant even remember a time when i didnt and I'm now 40 (its only in last year that I realise i'm not suffering a bout of flu or allergic to shopping)! Before using Plaquenil, antihistamine and paracetamol my temperature alone has risen as high as 103F just going on a shopping spree!

I have spent so many years avoiding the shops purely due to symptoms of flu - only advice I can give is - avoid shopping, airports, resturants where possible and if you cant use suncream, take water with you and pop a couple of paracetamols prior and an antihistamine if nec., wear sunglasses, wear clothing thats easily removed if you overheat!

Other than that try and lead as normal life as you can!

Take care,

Lesley

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Deb,

I too have problems with outdoor sun and indoor lighting. Car sun made me quite ill. I had sun filtering coating placed on my car and it really helped.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a lot of problems with floresent lighting. They put something in my glasses that helps a lot. I also have glasses that change when i go outdoors but these do not work in cars because most windsheilds have a uv protection so if that also bothers you i would suggest maybe looking into what susan said about the film on her windsheild. I hope it gets better for you! Even if you dont wear glasses maybe you could get a pair w/out perscription with that stuff in it for the floresent lighting just to wear when you go shopping. I needed it for in school. It's like a yellow tint, barely noticable though

·
Registered
35 Posts
for me florescent lights are bothersome when there is something yellow covering them or a lot of yellow around me with those types of lights. it makes me very dizzy and my vision gets blurred with zigzags. next thing i know, i have a terrible migraine. i know that those types of lights are associated with causing trouble with people who have lupus. so you're not alone...(even though i'm only borderline for lupus), there are of ton of us who are suffering from those lights!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts