The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my ultrasound results back today from my doctors office, i spoke to the nurse, the doctor is not going to be there until wednesday.

she said they found a couple of cyst on my breast. Can you guys shed some light on this the nurse couldnt give me much information. she said that they are benign. i dont know what to think.

alot of stuff is running through my head right now. Can this turn into cancer or is this something totally diffrent.

im worried:worried::worried::worried:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

I get Cysts in my breasts all the time...however it never reduces the fear. This is how my Dr explained it to me...at least as best as I can remember.

Simple cysts are more round or regular in shape and may or may not have fluid in them. They are easily spotted in a sonogram. These are more like a pimple and usually require no attention. They should go away on their own. More discussion or intervention should occur if they do not resolve or if they continue to grow. These can occur in one or both breasts at the same time.

Complex cysts are irregular in shape and also may or may not have fluid in them. These are the ones they worry about, as they can not readily discern if they are benign or malignant. They usually do a needle biopsy and aspiration of these unless they are large or very close to the lymph then they might gto a lumpectomy. Biopsy and aspiration is usually done in a breast surgeon's or oncologists office. They will biposy (send off to lab) and aspirate (remove excess fluid) all at the same time. Lump exctomy's are done in the hospital and may require both oncologist and plastic surgeon. These hardly ever appear in both breasts at the same time.

From Imagins for womens health:

"Breast cysts, tiny accumulations of fluid, are the most common cause of benign (non-cancerous) breast lumps in women between age 30 and 50. Simple cysts are typically round or oval and have smooth edges. Complex cysts can be filled with debris and may sometimes require aspiration to confirm that they are indeed benign cysts. Both single and multiple cysts are very common. The exact causes of cysts are not known, but they do tend to change with hormonal variations, either during normal menstrual cycles or from post-menopausal hormone replacement therapy.
When examining a breast abnormality to determine whether it is a cyst (or multiple cysts), the radiologist will study the quantity, size, and internal characteristics of the abnormality. Cysts do not become cancer or increase the risk of cancer. Most of the time, cysts may be left alone, but sometimes a physician may drain them with a small needle using ultrasound guidance. This procedure is called cyst aspiration. "

I have had both kinds, and no matter what they say its very scary. I have had biopsies/aspiration only once...which was benign. My Dr said thus the term fibrocystic breasts. I can get fibroids and cycts. I do self exams every month and see the gyno 2 times a year. I have mamo and sonogram every year...

I have survived ovarian cancer and hae a strong history for breast cancer...all of this increases my risk.

Each person is different, but I hope you do self exams...if not...please start...

All of my friends here on the board...PLEASE DO SELF EXAMS...they are easy to do, they only take 12 minutes and can be done in the shower...I do them on the 12th of every month...just easier to remember.

Here's how

http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/self_exam/bse_steps.jsp

Hope this helped explain things...Feel free to PM me if you want.

Love Stephanie
http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/self_exam/index.jsp?gclid=COKczOKjs5MCFQwrswod4n34ng

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow sam! i couldnt have put it better than that. thank you very much.

i didnt know that this was so common. you have put my mind at ease especially when i read that cysts are not cancerous.

thank you again. i hope everythings going well with you.:):):)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
(((((Lydia)))))

I'm so sorry to hear about the cysts :sad:

I'm so glad that sam was able to ease your worries! :)
my friend also had a benign cyst years ago which turned out to fine...so I will keep my fingers crossed that yours will be the same!

good luck with your appointment tomorrow lydia & please let us know how you get on.
take care :hug:
love karen x

STEPHANIE......Thank you so much for your very informative post & link..It certainly made me conscious of the fact that I don't self exam nearly as much as I should :blush: thank you :hug:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Sushi,
I have fibroids and actually had a sonogram and then they wanted me to follow up with a mammogram which I need to due this month. Thanks for the reminder.
Stephanie, I admit I have been bad about self exams my whole life and now it is too hard because I am so lumpy, but I do,do them anyway and just look for the ones that are new or changed. I tell you it is painful for sure! Thank you for all the thorough info.

Hugs,
Becca

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
acard, good luck with your mamogram. :):)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Sushi,

It really is more common than you realise and there are so many kinds of benign lumps. My mum and I are both prone to fatty breast lumps, she has had 5 removed and I've had 1. When I had mine removed (10 years ago) the surgeon told me that hormones, alcohol, coffee and chocolate can contribute to lumpy breasts. He also recommended Evening Primrose Oil which definatley helped me and stopped breast tenderness during my period.

My friend also gets fluid filled cysts from time to time. They are painful for her but not serious in any way.

If you are especially worried ask for a needle biopsy. It is a little uncomfortable but will put your mind at ease.

Hugz, :hug:

Pam xxx

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Sushi,

Yes benign breast cysts are very common. As Pam said the things her surgeon mentioned can make the condition worse (hormones, alcohol, coffee and chocolate) unfortunately the hormones we can do little about.

I am so full of cysts that it's a real task trying to do self exam, but I do the best I can as far as monitoring new ones and changes in old ones. I also go for a yearly mammogram and ultrasound. If you ask me the mammagram is a painful waste of time for me, they always end up doing the ultrasound so they can get a much better look at these cysts. The technician shudders at the thought of me coming in as she has to methodically look at each cyst which takes ages :hehe: but it is necessary to determine if there are any sinister new looking ones.

love
Lily

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i had an appt with my gp today and on the way out i checked my mailbox
i recieved a letter with the results of my ultrasound it said that my test had no abnormalities everything came out ok.

when i saw my gp she said that i have fibrocystic breast. she explained that theres nothing they can do for that. that its completely harmless. she said that before my period to try to avoid caffeine, sugar, chocholate and i forgot what else.

to make sure i do self exams each month for any changes.
thank you to everyone that responded to my post
you are all always a big help to me.:):)

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I could win the contest for the worst cystic boobs in the world.:lol::lol::lol:

It is very common so try and relax.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Great news about the sonogram! Sorry about the dx of fibrocystic breasts, it does get uncomfortable as you get older for the mamography...

If your insurance will cover...try for sonograms annually instead.

I'm glad my info helped...Just remember the 12th of the month!!!

Love Stephanie

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I have had fibrocystic breats my entire life, so do most of my sisters. I have been told for people like me the self exams are pretty useless, even doctors can't tell much on examination, so I just have mammograms every couple of years (or whatever they recommend, I just get a card in the mail and off I go).

For me this is entirely normal, I've had it since I developed breasts, so I don't worry about it. The main thing for you to do is to talk to your doctor and find out what it means for you. I would take the word 'benign' as being excellent in terms of prognosis.

hth

raglet

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Karol im entering the contest i think i could win this one too:lol::lol:
the doctor told me i have lots of them in both breast:lol::lol:

oh well, i feel so much better talking to you guys. i consider you my second family:):):)

raglet, i hope everythings working out for the better for you.:)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Sorry ladies but I win the contest :rotfl:With no exaggeration they shudder each time I go in, it once took them an hour and a half to check each lump methodically on their ultrasound gear to make sure they were all just fluid filled cysts :hehe: Gotta tell you there's no dignity in baring your boobs to a stranger for that long :lol:

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Good news Sushi!!!!! I am sorry that you had to go through all the worrying. I think it is rite of passage for us females with fibroids an cysts.
Hugs,
Becca

1 - 16 of 16 Posts