The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I know a lot of us have some type of nutritional or vitamin deficiency. Low Vitamin D seems to be common as does Low Iron.

Here is my question, is there anyone that has been deficient with many at the same time?

I went to the Dermatologist as my hair is falling out in clumps now, skin has changed and my finger nails are splitting right down the center. He wrote a script for me to have my blood drawn and check some numbers.

I just had blood work done and my Thyroid is working beautifully, thank heavens, however I am dangerously low in Vitamin D, Ferratin, Iron Saturation, Iron Serum and Zinc. I am baffled by this as I have taken Iron and Zinc supplements for the last 10 months back when the Iron Saturation was at 8%.

I can not believe I am lower now even after taking the supplements and taking them correctly for absorption purposes and now my numbers are hitting rock bottom. My hemoglobin and hematocrit are perfect so I am at a loss. 6 months ago my Vitamin D was great, now almost non existent.

What is happening to me.....................HELP!!!!!

If anyone can provide me with any insight it would be much appreciated. I am really very frustrated about this entire thing. I do have a appointment with my GP but would love to hear from folks that may have dealt with this themselves.

I hope you are all having a good night in whatever part of the world your in.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
On occasion I've been low on B12, but that's about it for me. That was back when I didn't eat much, if any, meat though. I'm pretty sure your problem may be unique to you with your lack of a stomach - perhaps that is playing a factor for you?

For low iron... be sure to take your iron supplement with food and a vitamin C source as that aids iron absorption (while calcium impedes it). Same thing with foods you may eat containing iron - eat them with a glass of OJ or a citrus fruit high in vitamin C. Do your best to eat foods that naturally contain these vitamins/minerals as well...

This isn't always enough to help I know... but every little bit helps sometimes. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Maia.

I have taken my iron with calcium exactly how the doctor prescribed it and obviously it has not done me any good.:mad::mad::mad:

I am just so darn mad right now, deflated and frustrated.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Karol... but really you want to take your iron supplement **separate** from your calcium supplement as they compete against each other for absorption. Have you been taking them together all this time? Take the iron pill with orange juice (or another food/juice high in vitamin C) as that will help the iron be absorbed; then take your calcium with a different meal of the day or just eat calcium foods at the other two meals.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Maia,

I am sorry I really was not clear. I do take the Iron with Orange Juice and the Calcium later with dinner. This is just how the doctor told me to take it.

So I went to the GP today and we chatted. They took 12 tubes of blood and we will wait for the results. Once the results come in we will know how to proceed.

Here is everything they tested for:
*Comp Metabloic Panel
*Sed Rate
*ANA
*CRP
*Ferrintin
*Lipase
*Amylase
*RF
*TSH
*Anemia Screen
*Vitamin D Levels
*Zinc Levels

He is having all of this blood work done at a different lab called Berkeley Laboratory and has also ordered something called Berkeley Baseline. Apparently there is a genetic component to this lab and the tests so not sure what the outcome will be there or even the specifics to what they are testing.

Anyway, time will tell and in the meantime I just continue to mull along and remind myself it could be so much worse.......this really helps keep me going.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Debatat. My husband said the same exact thing but I told him it was a piece of cake compared to 22 tubes of blood the Rheumatologist took from me before I was diagnosed. I felt half dead after that blood draw.:lol::lol::lol:

I appreciate you replying to my post and will keep you abreast of the outcome.

I hope your doing well deb.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Karol

Again (!) I am from the APS boards

But

yes I do!

I have low B12, iron, ferritin VERY vERY low (only 2) low folate . . . . . etc etc

And I have an anaemia . . .

if you're NOT yet anaemic then your deficiencies won't be major as when they are it causes an anaemia - when your body cannot make anymore blood cells without them. It is important therefore to try and correct them BEFORE this happens - which as you're perfectly aware is easier said than done. . .

If you're not absorbing them you will have to have them through other means - ie not through the bowel wall absorbing them.

This leaves Intramuscular for B12 - injections usually 3 monthly
And iv iron in the preparatiion in the uk this is venofer - and this also is 3 monthly.

These two will at least help the situation.

Have you seen a gastro doc ? sounds as if you need a review, particularly as you're a complicated case with no stomach. This would certainly mean that you're defo B12 deficienct as you need the intrinsic factor that is produced in the stomach - i'm surprised you haven't been getting the B12 injections since the removal of your stomach to be honest!

Gosh I do hope you get to the bottom of it all - it's enough to be going on with isn't it . . . .

Take care now

CAthy x

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Cathy,

I have been getting monthly B12 IM injections at 1000mcg's since 8-2004 so I am sorry if I was not clear on that. I am NOT B12 deficient thankfully.

How do you know if your actually anemic??? Do you assume you are when your down so low on Iron, Iron Saturation, Ferratin, Zinc and Vitamin D??? My hemoglobin and hemotacrit are still pretty good.

Yes, I do see a GI doctor regularly as I have dealt with the intestinal ulcers and have had more scopes and biopsies done then I care to talk about. As a matter of fact I have a follow up with the GI doctor next month.

The Dermatologist told me to go to my GP with this and so that is why I did. When I get my blood test results I will be sure to give a copy to my GI doctor and keep her in the loop.

My GP recommended that I also incorporate a Nutritionist now and will refer me to one once the test results are in. I expect most of them will be in by tomorrow but some of the genetic ones can take up to 3 weeks.

So now that I have babbled on and on here how do I know if I am classified anemic? What constitutes one being Anemic???:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Thanks Cathy for taking the time to reply here to me.:wink2:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi Karol.......what a nightmare for you.:worried:

My two pence for what its worth;)
You are not anaemic if your Hb and heamatocrit are within normal levels.
Another type of anaemia is Pernicious or macrocytic(large celled) anaemia caused by B12 dificiency which you have already excluded.
I wonder if you are difficient in trace elements like zinc(which causes skin problems,) or magnesium or folic acid? Hopefully the lastest blood test will give some answers.
I guess this is an absorption problem rather than an 'intake' problem.

Sorry ((Karol)) this is probably no help whatsoever....just posting really to wish you well with a speedy resolution.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Big Sis and thanks for your reply.

I think it is a double sided issue with me, probably an intake and absorption issue all together. I eat the amount of food a 3 year old would eat but I do eat often, throughout the day. As for absorption this is obvious as I do not have a stomach and I am missing part of my intestines too.:eek::eek:

I am going today to pick up a copy of my test results, the ones that are in so that I have it for my records.

I spoke to the girl yesterday and she told me that it may be Aplastic anemia as my Reticulocytes came back very low. My reply, "What is a Reticulocyte"???:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

My Ferratin is still very low too so I am sure I will be getting IV Iron transfusions soon, just a matter of setting it up to get them.

She did mention to me that my B12 was over 2,000 and said that was very, very high but I told her that I had just had my monthly IM shot a couple days prior to the blood being drawn so this did not surprise me.

Anyway, just wanted to Thank You for taking the time to put your 2 cents in here..................much appreciated.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.