The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past week, I have had severe pain in my shoulder and shoulder blade. I have lost significant ROM but never much pain. I've been taking my darvocet like candy and it isn't doing anything...any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, you should definitely get this checked out asap by your doc. Let us know how you get on.

Deb

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
I agree with Deb. The root cause needs to be found so you can get the appropriate treatment.

Last year I had terrible pain in my shoulder, shoulder blade and neck. A steroid shot took care of it.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...I called my doc first thing and he wants to see me tomorrow at 1. I never call and say I am in severe pain so guess he wants to see me. I was hoping it was something we could do over the phone.

·
11,410 Posts
Hi,

Good luck at the doc appointment tomorrow.:luck:
I hope you get some relief soon.:hug:

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well...I saw my doc on Tuesday and my shoulder is severly inflammed causing impingment of my rotator cuff. I had to have an x-ray takend and go back to see him next week. He also put me on a medrol for 6 days and then put me on medrol alternating days from that point on, I had been on every 3 days but am now on every other day.
I know wants the medrol kicks in, I will be better but he also gave me tylenol with codeine for the pain.

So that is my update.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
(((((hugs)))))) that sounds very painful. I hope the increased meds kick in very soon :hug:

love
Lily

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So my stupid shoulder felt better but now that I am tapering down the prednisone it is hurting again. I feel like if I could sling it maybe it would feel better instead of just hanging there. I go back on Wednesday but not sure what he is going to do because it is obvious the higher dose 18-24mg of prednisone worked but not was I get lower. I'm taking the pain pills so much again. Any thoughts whwile I wait to see him on Wednesday?

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Sorry it is so painful again. My first thought would be could you phone him tomorrow and ask to up the steroids again? My second thought was did you overdo it whilst on the higher dose? It is easy to do especially when you go from pain to no pain. I don't know what a sling would do, but when my shoulder is bad and feels like that, I rest it on cushions. It seems to help, to take the weight off it and support it. Hope it improves soon.

Deb x

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do find that my shoulder feels so muh better when I rest it on cushions. When I take too muh steroids, I tend to go crazy so hoping that it will not need more steroids. I'm on MTX so not sure if that will help or not. The tylenol with codeine helps as long as I take it every 4-6 hours.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The pain is back and severe again....I feel bad calling my doc since I am going in on wed...do you think a sling would help? I keep taking the tylenol with codeine and it eases the pain but it still there. I feel like a tyranasaurus rex with how close I am keeping it to my body;)

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
I've always found a sling extremely uncomfortable. The only other advise I can offer is to apply heat. If heat doesn't help try a cold pack.

Is there any way you can get your appointment moved up? A cancellation slot maybe?

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Perhaps you should just go to A&E/ER!!

The pain level does not sound good!

Let us know how things go!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think if I were to go to the ER they would give me some morphine and then tell me to discuss with my rheumy...I think if it wasn't for my apt on Wed morning then I probably would but I have to b careful with what I take as I am the sole caregiver of a 3 & 4 year old during the day.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I had to go for an MRI today and then see an orthopedist next week as he feels that I may have a partial tear in my rotator cuff. I hope not and just hope they can give me a cortisone shot since I am leaving on vacation in 2 weeks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.