The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suffer from SLE and DLE, and an array of other overlaps, but haven't been doing too badly over the past few months.

Yesterday was a work day for me, and about 4pm it hit me like a train, wham severe skin pain. My back, neck, jaw line, upper arms, top of my chest feel like I should be black and blue. My clothing hurts, and even the lightest touch hurts horribly. Ohhhh I just can't believe how painful it is.

I can't recall the reason for this type of pain, or what to do about it. I tried some Ibuprophin last night, with no help. I took a long hot soak, and that was nice, but didn't help. I have to go to work today, and the thought of it is making me cry. I've had this before, long ago and can't recall if it was leading up to a nasty flare or not. Arg.

Anyone else suffer with this?

Karin

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi Karen,

Do you have fibro? I used to get that..so severe at times that if someone touched my skin it felt like razors, so painful. At the time, they told me it was fibro and prescribed muscle relaxers. Not sure if thats what worked because shortly thereafter I started on Plaquenil and the pain went away. Keep an eye on it, and give your doc a call, especially if parts of your skin become red, inflamed or mottled.

Sorry I cant be more help..but hoping you feel better soon!
Sharon

·
Registered
72 Posts
oh karin...sorry you are so much pain... sounds horrible..can't help with any reasons for it, never had it myself... just wanted to send you a :there:

hope you have had better day today....maybe a quick phone call to your doctors would help...

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Karen, I have Lupus with the overlaps, and Fibro. The things that you are going thru right now are classic Fibro. I am so sorry for your pain right now, as I do know what you are going thru. I used to do so much crying that I thought that I would run out of tears. If you can possibly do it, I wouldn't go to work. But do rest as much as you possibly can. I wish there were something that would help, but I know of nothing except rest and sleep. Keep us informed, and do take care of yourself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Karin1
To me, your symptoms sound like neuropathic pain, especially when you say that the touch of clothing is so painful. That is typical of neuropathic pain. It can feel like you are on fire, or be pins/needles, etc. Regular pain med won't touch this. I was up day and night, pacing, could not sit in one spot for long because of the severe pain. It is terrible, I know. Discuss it with your Rheumy, maybe you can get some further assessment and some med such as Lyrica (I have just started this and it seems to be helping - I had severe neuropathic pain since middle of November and started on it a few days ago). If you want some really good info on neuropathic pain and treatment of it, google U.S. Pharmacist Treatment Options in Neuropathic Pain. I found this article when researching and it's got some really good descriptions that may help you determine if this seems like what you have.
I wish you the best, I understand the severity of that pain, I am off work because of that, and we are searching for the exact cause of the neuropathy, whether it is directly from Lupus, or another cause such as Pernicious Anemia.
Jenn

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for your caring replies! I do have fibro and chrones as well, and I'm on a small dose of Lyrica. But this flare has got me to a point of desperation. I'll try to see my Rhuemy and see if he can help me, it's just not getting any better. I just want to bawl my eyes out non stop.

Sorry i'm so down I can't say much right now.

Thanks again everyone. HUGS

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
(((((Karin,:there: Painless hug,)))))))
I just wanted you to know that I am thinking about and your horrible pain. I don't know what the answer is when my fibro is really bad it does feel like I have been hit by a train and I simpy cannot be touched.
I just don't know enough about neuropathy to weigh in on it.

I hope you can relief soon.

Hugs,
Becca

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.