The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anybody else had any problems with their eyes twitching or shaking making them unable to focus?

I was diagnosed with Lupus 23 years ago (I'm now 30), and have quite a few other complications, including Sjogren's. I have taken Plaquenil for about 8 years now (twice a day) but have managed to avoid Prednisilone apart from 6 months during pregnancy.

The week after my son was born (3 years ago) I started getting shaky eyes. My eyes twitch from side to side at such an speed I can feel them moving. My vision goes totally blurred and I can't focus on anything at all - nothing. At first it was maybe one or twice a month for a few seconds. But now, 3 years later, it's happening maybe twice a week and sometimes can last for 5-10 minutes. It's very distressing.

When it happens I basically can't see anymore - i have to stay where i am and wait for it to pass. Last week it happened whilst I was crossing the road, and it was terrifying cause I suddenly couldn't tell how far the traffic was.

Does anybody have any information on what it might be? To be honest I'd be relieved to know it's SLE related and not something else!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi There.
What you are discribing sounds like nystagmus.
I'm not a Dr so you need to get it checked by one:)
I have seen this following neuro conditions or i believe it can be idiopathic (no obvious cause.)
good luck with getting it sorted.....it sounds very debilitating.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
I get this and I have been diagnosed with nystagmus, it def needs checking out. It could be due to tiredness or even a migraine as they can affect the eyes. Get it checked and let us know how you get on.

Take care

Deb

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
Hi Idoodle,

I would see or call your rhumey and tell him what is going on.

When dealing with eye sight, I would go ASAP to my doctors.

Let us know how you are doing.

Love,
Lyn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.