The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am recovering from a case of the shingles and I am only 48! I have been diagnoised with Lupus for 18 years and this is the first time I had gotten this dreaded affliction. I am trying to find ann article stating that lupus patients are prone to shinngles. Any help out there?

·
11,409 Posts
Hi Terry,

I moved your post to start a new thread for you. That thread that you posted on was from 2008. This way the members will see your post and reply back.

Sorry to hear that you have shingles along with your lupus.:( There are members here that have or had the shingles in the past.

Welcome to the lupus site.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Administrator
7,566 Posts
Hi Terry, welcome to the board. It is a great place to find info and support. Shingles isn't very pleasant. Lots of people get shingles, my sons friend had it at age 10!!! I am unaware of any specific link to lupus, so I shall be interested to see the replies. I know shingles is to do with the immnue system and you are at risk if you are on immunosuppressants.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Terry and welcome.

I also do not know if Shingles is linked with Lupus. I know many people who have had shingles that do not have Lupus. I know that the other day we were chatting and a nurse said to get the vaccine to guard against shingles.

I am going to ask for this while getting my flu shot. Shingles are very painful if you get a bad case and so my heart goes out to you. I do hope you recover quickly from this. I think stress may bring it on or trigger it.

Feel better soon.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
From someone who is suffering with it right now I'd advise the vaccine if it's available-----------if I'd know there was one and that it would be this unpleasant I would have had a vaccine :(

I too know a lot of people who have come down with it, so I doubt it's got any special link to Lupus. I'm on immunosuppressants of course but in a lot of years of use of them this is only the second 'serious' sort of viral or bacterial infection I've had. I hardly ever pick up anything.

love
Lily

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
My first sign was a very burning nerve type pain.........it was in my back and I couldn't work out what was going on. The pain got much worse. The following day I had a red blotch there, then another and so it went on. By day two they looked a bit like welts but a friend had a look and said one of the blotches had tiny blisters forming. That was enough for me........I took myself off to the docs a) to get pain relief it was very severe nerve pain in a band around one half of my back and towards my belly button and b) to see if this actually was shingles. I was within the 72hr time frame of rash appearing so they could give me antivirals. They tend to shorten the severity and length of time it takes to recover. This is day 11 and the rash has dried up and shrunk, the pain is still there but much improved during the day - night time is hard to get comfortable despite heavy pain meds.

Not pleasant, I could not believe the severity of the pain (I usually have a high tolerance) and I was also already on Neurontin for nerve pain and a NSAID for my SLE pain. That didn't stop the pain though.

Shingles is not something I'd wish upon anyone.

love
Lily

·
Administrator
10,184 Posts
It is my understanding that the shingles vaccine contains a portion of live virus. If that is the case it would not normally be recommended for us. You should check with your rheumy beforehand.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Whoops.............thanks for that insight Breanne :foryou:

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Yes Bre, thanks for the insight on the vaccine.

(((((Lily)))))
I am so sorry your dealing with this and thanks for sharing your story. I am happy you were able to get treatment with in the 72 hour period. I hope you never deal with this again.

I have heard that it is triggered by STRESS, any truth to this? If so, can you honestly say that a life event that was stressful probably did in fact trigger shingles in you?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Karol,

There has been no emotional stress in my life lately, however I do have some Lupus related issues that are putting me physically under stress..........so maybe there's some truth in it!

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Lily;561024 said:
Hi Karol,

There has been no emotional stress in my life lately, however I do have some Lupus related issues that are putting me physically under stress..........so maybe there's some truth in it!
Whatever the case Lily I just hope you get on with getting better and never deal with this again. Sending hugs all the way over to you my friend.:wink2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts