The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: Lately, I have been having shooting pains, some run along my jaw and through my ear, down my big toes, and across my chest. They always take me completely by surprise and don't last an awful long time but long enough to be distressful Has anyone else experienced this before?

·
Registered
163 Posts
i get shooting pains all the time. used to get them in my head but now i get them more often in the in-step of my foot and in my hands a lot. good thing they don't last long because the pain is some of the worst pain i have ever experienced and i gave birth to a 10 pound baby so i know what pain is! i am taking an anti-seizure drug called carbatrol and it seems to help some. do you see a neurologist?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello Karly! I have experienced an awful stabbing pain that traveled from my right ear, down to my jaw, down my neck, and out through my chest and this new pain sent me to the emergency room. I was told it was from a swollen lymph node. I couldn't believe a swollen lymph node could cause this much pain! I read people with lupus can get swollen lymph nodes for no apparent reason, possibly from disease activity. Alll I know is that I was in such misery!! This lasted for about ten days or so and so far I haven't had to deal with it since then. Ddin't travel to my toes so im not sure this was the same kind of pain you are having. I hope this was of some help to you and I truly hope you'll be able to get through if it was anything like what I went through! Hugs, hugs, and more hugs!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Karly,

I get those too and still sometimes get the head ones. I have found that the anti-seizure drug I am on helps. I did some reading and in my unexpert opinion :lol: it is probably some kind of cranial nerve setting it off. They are awful pains but the med I'm on does keep it down to a dull roar. Hope you can find some relief ((((((((Karly))))))))

love
Lily

·
Registered
39 Posts
Shooting pains

The weirdest shooting pain I have is from my left thumb to the bottom of my left jaw. It will throb in my thumb then to my jaw. Back & forth for 10 mins or so. I don't have Lupus. The rheumy, that I fired, said that it looks like it could be Lupus. And if I have any problems I should see my PCP. That my list of docs is too long. Basicaly that she didn't know what was wrong & didn't want to deal with me.
I just thought I'd drop in about the shooting pain thing. I also have shooting pain in my legs. Like little zaps that hurt like crap. Like shin splints on the back of my calves. My calve muscles tighten up almost like a charlie horse but not as bad but over & over so it is much worse then a charlie horse. My thigh muscle has tightened up like that before too. Percocet & Lortabs do not help the pain. Nither does rest. I have been better this past week though.
Anyhow, sorry about all that. I guess I was needing to let go a little.
Take care all!
Jen :eek:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Another drug that can help with those shooting nerve pains is amitriptylline in low doses. In high doses its an antidepressant, but in low doses of 10 mg to no more than 75 mg (but usually 10 or 25mg to start with) it is used quite frequently as an adjunct to pain management treatments. Because of how it acts on particular parts of the brain it really can make a difference to nerve pains. If you take the single dose in the evening about 12 hours before you want to get up in the morning, then it minimises any sedative, zonked out effects.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi

I found amitriptylline great for the horrible pain in my arm (from thumb to ear) but I became "used" to drug and increasing the dose was not an option so my GP changed me to dosulepin (another antidepressant used in low dose) and I have been on the same dose for over two years.

It has really helped with my arm pain but the stabbing pain in my head breaks through.

Just hope that I will get a dx so I can get the right medication to calm everything down.

Love Judi xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts