The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I just got back from a mini vacation to find last week's blood test results in my mailbox. Anyway, some of my previous normals are now not so normal....hmmm what a surprise huh.:lol::lol::lol:

I am hopeful that someone can shed some insight for me. The numbers do not seem to alarming yet these used to be normal and now they are not.

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy Low at 25
Protein, Total, Urine High at 16
Prothrombin Antibodies, IgM High at 27

I have never had a low Vitamin D level and the only time I ever had protein in my urine was while pregnant. At for the high antibodies, can't seem to find any answers on Google or for that matter anywhere.

Any help or answers are much appreciated.

I hope your all doing well.:wink2:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't think I can be too helpful, only that what happened with me. I had low Vitamin D and was prescribed with Vitamin D 50,000 IU. Since I supposed I was rarely in the sun and never got my Vitamin D. With protein in the urine, that is usually showing that the kidney is being attacked. But numbers aren't very helpful as every health plan are different. :( I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Karol,

You will need to get the Vitamin D level up as it will only make your Lupus worse and could cause other problems by being so low. Your doc will probably advise you on this. When do you see him next?

I assume this urinalysis was a one off sample? The protein was high, I think normal range is up to 8mg/dL assuming that's the way yours is measured. They should test again to make sure it's not hanging around, probably a 24hr urinalysis would be a good idea. You may find that the 24hr turns out ok, sometimes random samples are high but a 24hr reading under 150 mg is ok. As long as it doesn't stay at this level then it's one of those things that sometimes happen but needs monitoring nonetheless.

I know very little about the Prothrombin IGM but did find a reference where under 20 was ok. Your doc will know more about this and what it means in your situation.

love
Lily

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi Karol, Vit D levels low are supposed to cause increased pain and fatigue and is often found in patients with rheumatic diseases apparently.

My IGM levels were really high at my last blood test and I can't seem to find any info on it either!! I would be really interested to know the answer.

Hope you are well otherwise and had a good break.

Deb x

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to those who replied.

Lily I don't see the doctor again for 3 months but I guess if he is concerned he will call me. So far I have not heard from him and I thought the Vitamin D was pretty low so I am surprised that I have not received a phone call.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

As for the urine test it was a sample, urinate in the cup and send it to the lab.

Maybe I should place the call to the doctor and ask him to return my call. I am sure they get busy with many patients and sometimes things can get overlooked.

I do appreciate the replies and hope your all well.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Karol,

Yes I'd put a call in, maybe he hasn't even gone over these results? Surely if he did he would have contacted you if you don't have an appt for 3 months.

love
Lily

·
Registered
96 Posts
hi karol

just wanted to let you know my experience of these two issues. On my last blood tests i was shown to have a lower end of normal vit d level. My rhumie prescribed vit d supplements and it has now come back up to a decent reading. i do know this is a common problem with people with auto immune diseases and when tested, many people are discovered to have a low reading. I dont think its anything to worry about although i think vitamin d helps with the absorbtion of calcium to if you have osteoporosis (like me) it is important to make sure you levels are good.

As for the protein in urine, i have always had this show in my samples. My blood tests and egfr have always been fine but it always worried me that i showed this. My gp did a blood and urine test on the same day (not sure what the whole procedure was called but im sure someone on here would know) and even though i always leaked a little protein it was not of a level of concern and was not affecting my kidney function. It is always good to have these things kept an eye on and checked out so maybe you could go back to your gp or leave a message for your rhuemie (as i did ) and he moved my appt forward to discuss my worries. Both drs randomly test my urine to see if anything changes and it hasnt over the last year but at least i know things will be dealt with if they do.

let us know how you get on

annie x

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Karol,

My vitamin D is constantly low - in fact I don't think we've ever got it above 20 and it was down in the 7s and 8s!! Not that I'm saying that's good - as the others say, it needs addressing, just to say that my rheumy wouldn't "panic" if mine were at 25 :)

All I know about the Prothrombin IgM thing is that it is an auto-immune marker of some sort and is one of the ones that comes out high with me too when I'm flaring.

I'd put in a call as I don't think I'd have the patience to find out what they all mean if I had to wait for the appointment :)

Katharine

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Like annie, I was found to be severely deficient at one stage with a level of 2 when the normal levels were between 32-110 or so. If that's your range then 25 isn't drastic but it's still important to try and get the levels back up.

Mine came back up with 1000iu of Vitamin D3 for 6 months and it's since stayed within normal range without supplementation. You being deficient may have something to do with your stomach issues so it's worth talking to your doc about how to supplement. If a deficiency is found it's worthwhile running a few other tests to see why someone is deficient. The reasons are many, including parathyroid problems, kidney issues, liver issues, insufficient absorption, and the list goes on. Sometimes a distinct cause is never found. They are talking about raising the acceptable lower level because many people aren't doing well with that 32.

It's an extremely important vitamin, it's actually a steroid hormone and has far reaching consequences for the immune system.

Vitamin D is a steroid hormone that plays a crucial role in calcium metabolism and bone homeostasis. It is increasingly recognized that vitamin D also has important roles in multiple other systems, including effects on muscles, vasculature, reproduction, cellular growth and differentiation, malignancy and the immune system. Vitamin D's regulatory role of vitamin D in modulating the immune response includes inhibitory effects on T cells, B cells and dendritic cells.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/579395

love
Lily

·
Jen
407 Posts
I would definately have him call in a script for Vit D, the only way I can ever get mine just above normal is 12 weeks of 50,000IU (once weekly). It would be a good idea to get started sooner than later. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.