The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I'm new to this site and fairly new to Lupus. I was just diagnosed in April. My rheumatologist has done bloodwork that came back positive for this that and the other, but never urine. Is urine pretty much a standard test that should be run?

·
11,410 Posts
First of all, Welcome to the site.

Yes, it is a good idea to get your urine tested.
They also check out your kidneys threw blood tests.

You should have a talk to your rhumey about doing a urine test.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Welcome to the site Goony. I hope you find it both informative and supportive.

Testing the urine is standard. The doctors like to see if there is an increase in protein or red blood cells which might indicate a problem with the kidneys. Since your doctor has not had a urinalysis done you might inquire how you will know if you have kidney involvement or not.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the warm welcome and the reply. I have a friend that has had lupus for 17 years and thinks I need to find a new rheumatologist because of some things that she hasn't done, such as a urine test.

I am going in for my next check-up in a few weeks and will ask her why she hasn't done one. She's done 2 rounds of bloodwork, one when I first came in and another after starting plaquanil but what really upset my friend is when I went in last month feeling so aweful I hadn't gotten out of bed for a week, and the doctor prescribed prednisone but never did a blood test or urine test.

·
4,445 Posts
Hiya.. yes urine test is standard care... I have one everytime I see my Rheumy, which is currently three monthly. Also do one at home twice a month to monitor all ok etc etc. I would be worried if a Rheumy hadn't done this in the consultations. Might be good to cast your net wider and see if there is an alternative in your area with more auto immune experience.. take care,
Claire x

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Goony and :welcome:

I just wanted to say that I agree with the others and it sounds like you have a wise friend there who's keeping you up to date.

I hope you enjoy being here, bye for now,
Katharine

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi Goony and welcome to the site. You have been given excellent advice so I can't add anything. I am glad you found the site though it is very friendly, informative and supportive.

Hope that your rheumy appt goes well.

Take care

Deb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.