The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed on my birthday with Lupus and diagnosed on New Years with diabetes. WHere I live there aren't any support groups. I get depressed from time to time. My life is on hold because of these diseases. I can't go away to school so I have to attend college here in my hometown. I am graduating from HS in MAY, 08
I've been a Ballerina for 10 years and my dream of being a dancer is gone HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH IT?

:worried:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Aurianna,

I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis and that it has come and so brutally affected your life in such a way.

I'm afraid these things can be hard to deal with. We all have/had hopes and dreams that have had to change in some way. I think I get through it by knowing that it is not just lupus that does that to you.

When I was 14 I had my life in front of me "all planned out" as they would say but due to very unusual circumstances I found myself without a home, no further schooling and with no money whatsoever. All that meant that I didn't finish school and obviously that is never really recomended.

However, all that taught me different skills. It taught me to survive and to fight. It also taught me to be grateful for what I've got and to see opportunities.
Obviously, it is hard to think of anything good when your dreams have been dashed but that's just what we have to try and do.
People change direction many times in life and for many reasons. It may be hard to see right now but I'm sure you will find another direction.

I'm really sorry I can't help you more and I don't mean to sound harsh, sending you loads of hugs and positive cyber vibes,
:grouphug2:

Katharine

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Aurianna

You've had 10yrs enjoying being a ballerina and that you can keep special and close to your heart... it's a long time to be working towards something that now isn't possible. You must be so shattered and for that I'm sorry but I really hope the new dreams you create/that come your way will eventually be just as exciting and fulfilling!

X T X:)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It's hard to have to give up something that you really love, like ballet. But really, you don't have to give it up. There may well be some times where you are able to dance. You can learn to work "behind the scenes" in ballet and dance set design, etc. There are a lot of ways to still be involved in ballet and dance that will work within the limitations you'll have some times due to your lupus.

Congratulations on graduating high school this year & trust me, there is still a bright future ahead for you. It may not be what you were thinking it would be, but that doesn't mean it won't be just as good/fulfilling for you.

Take care and I hope you find the right medications to be feeling much better soon. What do you plan on doing after high school?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Aurianna,

What rubbish timing your Dr's have! I would tell them off if I was you! Birthdays should be filled with getting cake and presents and hugs not news like having a yucky disease! Likewise with new year! Bad dr's.

Well done for being real about your feelings about having these things dianosed. It is really important to not pretend that everything is rosey and how you think and feel about the disease will effect how you react to situations and other people so it is good to let them know how you are feeling. Also by sharing how we are feeling it can be easier to deal with those feelings and give them useful outcomes.

The other people who have written on here are right. You do have a future and I am sure each and everyone of the people who write on here can tell you of the different things they planned to do and the things that they are doing now and the good bits and the less good bits of doing something different. But I think that the future is such a big unknown thingy that it is smarter to focus on the bits that are coming up soon.

Its a shame you haven't got a support group near you but do you have anyone else you can talk to? A fantastic aunt? School counsellor? Church Youth Leader? Mum? Anyone really who is happy to listen and help you work thought the things you are thinking?

Next is there anyway you can make positive decisions about your life over the next few weeks? If you have exams coming up you could say to yourself something like in between revising subjects I am going to dance because I can manage 10 min goes at ballet and I find that fun.

Finally in the last year you have had 2 major diseases thrown at you and I am guessing you have become an adult and you are leaving high school. These are all major life things going on so don't be surprised if you feel a bit all over the place. When things feel a bit steadier then look at the bigger picture and think about the future. Imagine life like a roller coaster you could either scream your way through it and hate every minute or you could put your hands in the air and enjoy the adrenaline rush knowing that either way you will get through it somehow even if some of the loops make you feel a little sick.

With all of that please be rest assured I will be thinking and praying for ya.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts